Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Convert Sine to Square and shift phase

Status
Not open for further replies.

cane21

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi

If I need to convert a sine wave to a phase shifted square wave, would the simplest way be to use a phase shift RC oscillator after a Schmit trigger?

Hi,

Frequency, voltage, voltage offset, current, phase shift?

A schmitt trigger may be useful to generate square wave, but you have to take care about input voltage levels and voltage offset.
As it includes a hysteresis .. it will generate a phase shifted square wave (if adjusted for symmetric output).

Depending on shift angle one solution could be to first shift the sine, then use a schmitt trigger.
(Using an RC after the schmitt trigger will destroy square wave)

But all this is guessing without specifications.

Klaus

Thanks,

It's just a filtered sin wave : 4 sin(500t) + sin (15000t) to be shifted by 60 degrees.

So shifting first then using a schmitt trigger should be okay?

Hi,

It's just a filtered sin wave : 4 sin(500t) + sin (15000t) to be shifted by 60 degrees.
Now you have two frequencies. it´s not a simple sinewave anymore. How comes?

A filtered sine wave will remain a sinewave. Frequency will still be the same, just amplidute and phase may change. I wonder why there is a second frequency.
..and how you want to generate a square wave from two interlaced sinewaves..

Maybe do a simulation. There are free simulation tools. Even Excel can do this job.

Klaus

Hi,

Now you have two frequencies. it´s not a simple sinewave anymore. How comes?

A filtered sine wave will remain a sinewave. Frequency will still be the same, just amplidute and phase may change. I wonder why there is a second frequency.
..and how you want to generate a square wave from two interlaced sinewaves..

Maybe do a simulation. There are free simulation tools. Even Excel can do this job.

Klaus

Sorry for being vague, that was the original signal but I have already filtered it through a LPF. I am using LTSpice to simulate.

Status
Not open for further replies.