Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

SN74LVC1G3157: connecting SPDT switch GND pin to -2V to pass negative waveform

Status
Not open for further replies.

Georgy.Moshkin

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I need to pass two analog waveforms through SPDT switch.
Each waveform maximum voltage swing is -1.5V to 0V.
In previous design with positive voltage waveform I have used SN74LVC1G3157 and obtained very satisfying results.
SN74LVC1G3157's absolute maximum ratings for IO pins is -0.5V.
I thought about applying -2V voltage to SN74LVC1G3157's GND pin. -2V may be obtained from negative voltage generator IC. Unsure if it is correct approach:
Code:
' voltages applied to Vcc and Vgnd
Vcc=3.3;
Vgnd=-2;

' SPDT supply voltage between Vcc and Vgnd
V=Vcc+(-Vgnd)
	V = 5.3

' "high" and "low" levels relative to Vgnd
VIH=0.7*V
	VIH = 3.71
VIL=0.3*V
	VIL = 1.59

' absolute voltage thresholds for SPDT switching
Vgnd+VIL
	Ans = -0.41
Vgnd+VIH
	Ans = 1.71
From calculations it is seen, that if SPDT will work with -2v at GND pin, switching will require negative voltage of less than -0.41V, and main MCU GPIO no longer could be directly used to control SPDT switch, which complicates design.

Please suggest a good way of switching such negative waveform. Currently I think about replacing SN74LVC1G3157 with CD74HC4053 (dual supply), which have VEE, GND and VCC pins, and supports waveforms with voltage swing between VEE and VCC. In this case VCC may be connected to 3.3v, and VEE to -3.3 V from negative voltage generator IC.

I agree with your consideration that a dual supply SPDT switch would be the preferred solution. Beside well-known 74HC4053, there are also single gate types like TI TS12A12511.

Designing a level shifter for 3157 is not so difficult however.

I have used the 4066 bilateral switch to do the job. It appears to carry analog signals of both positive and negative polarity. Switching on/off is done via high/low signal at the control pin.
The 4066 contains four switches.

Hi,

I'd use an analog switch like DG201.
It can work with logic level control signals while switching positive as well as negative analog signals....and you don't need to do handstands with negative GND levels.

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.