Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

EN64000-4-11 Standart Shutdown Test

Status
Not open for further replies.

strahd_von_zarovich

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everyone,
I have a product which will be tested for EN64000-4-11 standart. One of the guy in test company told me that product's main power supply will be shutdowned for 250ms during operation and expected that product will keep working without any interruption. Power supply in my product is HEP-185-24 from Meanwell and in it's datasheet it says it is compliance to EN64000-4-11. However, it's hold-up time is 16ms at full load. :thinker:

What is the best solution for this problem? My system draws nearly 110W from 220VAC. Using large capacitors after AC/DC power supply is the only solution or is there any alternatives especially small ones. :cry:

Thanks in advance.

One of the guy in test company told me that product's main power supply will be shutdowned for 250ms during operation.
I'm not aware of a respective EN61000-4-11 voltage dip specification in the general requirements (class 2). There's no EN64000, b.t.w.

Ask the test house for the applied EN61000-4-11 clause.

I'm not aware of a respective EN61000-4-11 voltage dip specification in the general requirements (class 2). There's no EN64000, b.t.w.

Ask the test house for the applied EN61000-4-11 clause.

Sorry my fault, it is EN61000-4-11.

I am planning to use 0.33mF 25V (https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/nichicon/LNR1E334MSE/493-7638-ND/3930016) capacitor at the output of AC/DC power supply. If I calculated correctly voltage grop will be about 4V for 250ms. :thinker:

Can this capacitor solve my problem?

Can this capacitor solve my problem?
Possibly. You didn't yet clarify what the exact problem is, particularly which EN61000-4-11 clause you are trying to fulfill.

I expect that the Meanwell AC/DC complies with the standard, so if justified at all, there are specific application requirements beyond general EN61000-4-11 spec.

Possibly. You didn't yet clarify what the exact problem is, particularly which EN61000-4-11 clause you are trying to fulfill.

I expect that the Meanwell AC/DC complies with the standard, so if justified at all, there are specific application requirements beyond general EN61000-4-11 spec.

I was told that the system power will be shutdowned for 250ms , and during that time my system is expeced to be working without any failure and after power is reopened, so I am trying to supply enough power for 250ms.

I don't know exactly which test cover this clause. I am just trying to fulfill this requirement.

Edit: Capacitor is 0.33F not 0.33mF by the way.

Last edited:

You are apparently implementing a specification from hearsay. I won't do this.

I was told that the system power will be shutdowned for 250ms , and during that time my system is expeced to be working without any failure...
Edit: Capacitor is 0.33F not 0.33mF by the way.

This suggests your load takes DC.
.33F may be sufficient to provide DC voltage @110 W for 1/4 second. Say for a load taking 55VDC @ 2A.

However if your load takes 5VDC @22A then consider ganging a few capacitors together.

Also consider whether some parts of your circuitry really need continual power.
Some clock radios have a compartment for 9V battery, to keep time in a blackout so we will wake up on time. However the led digits are non-essential in a blackout, so leave them unpowered to save the battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.