Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PCB tweak: Pollution degree 2 --> 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jester

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have been asked to tweak the design of a control board used in an industrial application for use in the USA. The board was designed to meet PD2 and now they want it to meet pollution degree 3 specifications. The only problem area I see is the connectors for measurement of 240Vac nominal.

The creepage to other circuits appears adequate, however functional creepage for 240V is 151mil or 3.8mm and the connector has 5.08mm pin spacing, so even with oval pads the creepage is only 97mil or 2.5mm (Okay for PD2 but not PD3).

I would prefer to keep using the same connectors Weidmuller 1594540000 https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/weidmuller/1594540000/281-3145-ND/492619

IF I add a slot between the connector pin pads, the creepage would be 2.5 +1.6 = 4.1mm. Does anyone see any issues with this approach?

I have used a 1mm slot in the past, from a manufacturing perspective, what is an ideal slot width?

Looking forward to comments, thanks in advance.

Attachments

• PCB01pg22.pdf
    53.7 KB · Views: 102

Adding a slot is common practice to increase creepage distances, then you only have the clearance distance to worry about... 1mm slot minimum.

Status
Not open for further replies.