Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Suitable driver for a MOSFETs H Bridge

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnJohn20

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi guys. I am sure this question has been asked before but when I search I get so many answers that don't really apply so I am confused.

I have a 20V PSU which I want to power a 3 phase permanent magnet motor (brushless motor I guess).

If I could, I would like to use 6 of TK40E06N1 (S N-channel MOSFET, 60 A, 60 V) for the high side and the low side switches of the H bridge.
- Would I need to use a bootstrap capacitor driver?
- If so, would I need a higher voltage than 20V to power the driver?

My second option is to use IRF5305PBF P-channel MOSFET (31 A, 55 V) for the high side switching and the TK40E06N1 for the low side.
- I would then have a positive 18V regulator (L7818) and a negative regulator for the MOSFET gates
- MOSFET Vgs(max) is 20V. I think 18V will charge the gates very quickly. Is 18V too close to Vgs(max)?
- Most of the driving circuits I have seen use a resistor (1KΩ to 10KΩ) between the MOSFET gate and source to discharge the gate and a transistor to charge it up. I feel this might be a bit slow. I want to switch the motor poles at 40kHz.
- Can someone suggest a suitable driver chip to use in this case?
- Or will I need to build one using 2 transistors for each MOSFET?

Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks.

All NMOS bridge with bootstrap driver like IR2110 is the popular solution. It uses a single power supply of 12 - 15 V which determines Vgs,on value. 18V would be definitely too high for silicon MOSFET.

IR2110 or similar drivers are driving the gate in push-pull mode, 1k resistor is effectively useless.

Yes, half bridge gate driver IC's intended for driving nfets such as the IR2110 are incredibly common and cheap and designed for exactly your application. Find one with a good datasheet and application examples and follow them and you'll be in good shape.

Many may have demo boards and other things that may be helpful for prototyping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back