Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Recommendations of tools to generate RTL from C/SystemC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

javierh.santiago

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

My goal is to synthesize RTL in any specific technology library using Design Compiler. However, as you know the implementation of RTL using HDL consumes significant time. Therefore, I would like to explore HLS. I 've been reading about Vivado HLS which has a free version for students, but before going in depth with this tool. My question is, Can I use the generated RTL from Vivado, and use it in Design Compiler instead of a FPGA? or is there any other HLS tool available for students that generates RTL from C and I can use it with Design Compiler, that you recommend?

Thanks

However, as you know the implementation of RTL using HDL consumes significant time.
So...you tried learning HDL, had great success with it - but after many years of experience your'e looking for something to accelerate your design process ?

My question is, Can I use the generated RTL from Vivado, and use it in Design Compiler instead of a FPGA?
If there are no Xilinx primitives in the generated RTL, then theoretically DC should not be complaining.

or is there any other HLS tool available for students that generates RTL from C and I can use it with Design Compiler, that you recommend?
I don't think so. Mostly the big shot EDA companies have such tools and they do not have a student version. But check them out yourself.
Mentor has such a tool as far as I know.

So...you tried learning HDL, had great success with it - but after many years of experience your'e looking for something to accelerate your design process ?

I do believe that HLS is more efficient in terms of Datapath design, and also it would give much better flexibility to explore multiple desigs. Considering that, yes I am looking for something that can help with that in less time, even if I am not an expert with HDL.

Don't get me wrong - I think HLS is great. And if major improvements continue it may become the future...
What I don't like is the way HLS is being marketed sometimes.
As a tool to widen the user base from hardware engineers (that understand the underlining architecture and it's limitations) to anyone who can write a line of code in C.

I believe that to be a good professional logic designer (regardless of your chosen design entry method) you have to first get your hands dirty with HDL (at least for 2-3 years).
Otherwise, a generation of mediocre engineers will grow that treat these HLS compilers as "black magic machines".
The same happened in software...

I believe that to be a good professional logic designer (regardless of your chosen design entry method) you have to first get your hands dirty with HDL (at least for 2-3 years).
Can't agree more!

Don't listen to the Xilinx marketing guys propaganda.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back