Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ESP-07 unable to communicate with a Hotel Wi-Fi

Status
Not open for further replies.

knikhil271083

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi Experts,
I have developed an IOT enabled temperature sensor with ESP-07 module. I have an mobile app and a server to which I post the temperature data through MQTT. I have tested it on home wi-fi, office wi-fi, open wi-fi (public places) etc.
I recently got a chance to connect this to a hotel Wi-Fi and there is a problem.
The hotel has an open wi-fi that gets connected using guests' room no. and password provided by the hotel. For my case, I have given them MAC of my ESP-07 device that they have bypassed through their network. They did the same procedure that they do when they want to use their personal mobiles to connect to the hotel wi-fi for browsing.

Now the problem is, I am able to connect to the hotel wi-fi successfully (i have seen on the serial terminal of Arduino) and get an ip address, but the module is not able to connect to my server. If I remove it from the hotel wi-fi and connect to my mobile hotspot, it immediately connects to my server and data is posted.

Is there something that needs to be done in the hotel network to let my data through? By the way I am communicating with my server over port 1883.

Any help would be appreciated.

They have probably blocked all but the usual ports for HTTP, FTP, Telnet and so on. Some other ports may be used by themselves so they would prevent access to them by unrecognized devices. I don't think there is a way around this unless you can change the port number on your Arduino from the hotel.

Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back