Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Modbus over TCP/IP and internet via Ethernet

Status
Not open for further replies.

dkeoki

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, i need a guidance on enabling a device to communicate using modbus over tcp/ip to get data and send it over the internet. To achieve this, I think i will need one Ethernet connector(RJ45) for the SCADA connection for modbus over tcp/ip and another RJ45 for Ethernet connection to the internet. Could anyone give me keywords to search in accomplishing the task or explanation on how to go about this. I am new to networking and any help is appreciated, thank you.

Is your device a MODBUS server or client? In both cases, you just plug the interface cable to an internet connected network infrastucture. But in case of a server you need to configure the network to forward incomming MODBUS TCP packets to the local IP address used by the MOSBUS server. Your network must also have a public IP address or utilize a DDNS server. Or provide a VPN tunnel to the remote client.

I am actually making a MODBUS client device that will connect/communicate with the MODBUS server.
My device will query for data from the MODBUS server using the MODBUS over tcp/ip via one of it's RJ45.
And my device will need to send that data to the internet via the other one of it's RJ45 connected to a modem etc.
So my device will have 2 RJ45 ports and I am not sure how to handle the implementations(if there is a specific name for these kind of connection).
I would like to know what to search to start or guidance such as connection model? name, is it possible to implement, how do I go about tackling the problem, etc.

It's not generally necessary to have two network interfaces. More commonly the local network provides a gateway to the internet, so both communications can go through the same network port.

connection.png
I think you are talking about the (B) connection?
I think the (B) connection would be costly and I need more like the (A) connection.
Is (A) connection possible and how would I go about implementing this.

Neither of it. I'm assuming a typical office or home network infrastructure where a device can talk to each other or the internet.

Oh I see. I'm looking more like the (A) connection.
The MODBUS server doesn't provide any internet access and
I needed a way for my device to send data to the internet, thus the (A) configuration.
I'll read on the MODBUS via TCP/IP documents to see if there's any mention
for (A) types of configuration.
Any other help would be appreciated, thank you.

Hello!
May help you Serial to Ethernet Connector redirects Modbus RTU over TCP/ IP to remote computers.
They, in return, display a virtual serial connection through which the software can communicate with the port.

Status
Not open for further replies.