Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Buying an oscilloscope

Status
Not open for further replies.

adwnis123

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello, I am about to buy an oscilloscope..What I want to ask, is what to take care of before I buy it, what functions/buttons should it have?

Hi,

"I want to bake a cake. What ingredients do I have to buy?"

Without knowing what you want to do with your oscilloscope.. it will be hard to give good advice.

--> More digital, more analog, more low frequency, more high frequency, spectrum analysis, long time data tracking, how many channels, what buget, PC interface...

Klaus

Hi,

"I want to bake a cake. What ingredients do I have to buy?"

Without knowing what you want to do with your oscilloscope.. it will be hard to give good advice.

--> More digital, more analog, more low frequency, more high frequency, spectrum analysis, long time data tracking, how many channels, what buget, PC interface...

Klaus

A typical oscilloscope for analog circuits 0-5 Volts, Arduino testing, FPGA testing, Raspberry testing, SPI, I2C, UART protocols, Typically for circuits working up to 12 Volts. Someone who has experience, I think it is easy to coordinate it me to a solution... Budget around 200-250 euros

Last edited:

Hi,

"analog circuits" is a wide range. Audio needs high reolution. The 8bit or 10 bits of some oscilloscope´s won´t be sufficent.
Analog signal analysis: FFT? THD?

With the low budget: Maybe a PC interface (or memory card) can help. Then you can do the analysis on the PC, like THD or FFT calculations with Excel.

Arduino testing: is digital in low MHz range.
FPGA may be in the high MHz range. And if you go to some advanced analysis like eye_diagram or high_speed_SERDES .. it will become difficult..

SPI: here I recommend 4 channels.

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back