Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Looking for PCB inspection microscope camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

dxpwny

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am interested in buying a 'microscope camera' to help me in soldering fine pitch parts and inspecting PCBs. I did a search here and saw a few posts about DIY systems. I don't think that's a route I want to go .. so am asking for other peoples experiences.

I've seen many on Ebay (via China) for ~ $20 … but am pretty sure what that would get me (not much).

Anyone have advice for buying such cameras … brands ? Sources ?

Thanks

Stereo vision is a big advantage, compared to single image from a microscope or webcam.

For close work I piggyback 2 or 3 pairs of eyeglasses. Strong diopter numbers like 3.25.

The 'third hand' with magnifying glass is ideal to hold pieces for soldering. (Aka 'fisherman's friend' used for tying flies.)

magnifier and clips on stand.jpg

I should have made it clear that one advantage of cameras that I prefer is photos - thanks.

Hi,

I watched a vet using one and I have no idea of cost but it looked the same as one for about $50 and it was more than adequate for inspecting an insect in unpleasant detail that is about 2mm square. I'd focus on (megapixels) resolution/price and lighting feature, nothing worse than hoping to see fine detail and getting Minecraft-style blown-up jpgs of blurry block shapes, etc. Oh, and avoiding the all-enveloping online consumer experience where apparently we'll find ourselves through shopping and everything is cheap (...cheaply made) but has no user manual or even specs sometimes. If there's no user manual or serious specifications sheet it's no use, in my opinion.

I have one of those eBay 2MP "banana" cameras and
it works pretty well, on high mag I can get down to
about 1/4 section of a small IC's internal die at full
screen. Mine came with a bit of bracketry and some
come with a stand, even.

I'd be interested if you remember any brand name or model info. Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the info. What do you mean by 'banana camera' ? I'd be very interested to see any images you could share as well as model info. I'd like to get actual users' images rather then accept the images created by those selling the cameras. Thanks again.

I mainly want something I can use to help me with small PCB fabrication - but also to get decent images of parts I might eventually try to sell. A good image showing exact part markings can sometimes help sell parts.

I get closeup photos by placing a magnifying glass in front of my digital camera (inexpensive 3.2 megapixels). I press the button halfway down to see if focus is sharp.

Success usually requires a few trials, to get the right distances. Also changing light intensity and direction.

Name brand cameras tend to be expensive. However, you can get decent and cheap cameras- china made but so what- if they server you well.

Serve you well is the key: please hunt for the features like:

1. Good working range: the objective should be more than 5-10cm from the surface. That will give you some elbow room to work while looking through the eye piece.

2. Flat field: the field of view should be well focused, uniformly lighted and free from aberrations at the four corners. The photos will be publication ready.

3. Do not go for extra magnification (get one with a slightly greater magnification that you are comfortable to work with)- sharp image is better than a high magnification.

4. Instead of a stereoscopic microscope, get one with a decent screen.

But my personal opinion: how about a decent cmos camera with a stand that can connect to a modern laptop?

I have the box here in front of me and can find no hint
of a manufacturer-name.

On eBay, it looks like this one (I call it a "banana" because
of size / shape).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-500X-M...125394&hash=item3d2a285a79:g:eEQAAOSwx2dYGFSI

Attached a picture I took with it, the lower left quarter
of a smallish IC die (UC1843, die size 1803x2438um (so
this pic is about 1mmx1mm extents).

I've moved up to a more expensive 5MP camera that fits
into a standard objective. If you have a microscope already
this could be cleaner / better (more expensive too). If you
do not have a microscope, might want to determine what
magnification you want - these "banana" cameras come in
a range from 200X to 1600X according to the box (has a
series of checkboxes, on it). Too much mag may be as bad
as too little, you'd end up doing a lot of panning perhaps.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the info. What do you mean by 'banana camera' ? I'd be very interested to see any images you could share as well as model info. I'd like to get actual users' images rather then accept the images created by those selling the cameras. Thanks again.

I mainly want something I can use to help me with small PCB fabrication - but also to get decent images of parts I might eventually try to sell. A good image showing exact part markings can sometimes help sell parts.

Attachments

• BL.jpg
    BL.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 158

That's actually what I had thought of … doing all my work while viewing on a PC monitor. I see no point in getting a system with a dedicated screen - too pricey for my needs !

I'm impressed by that image. If you can do that with that sort of camera I should have no trouble with getting good photos of very small electronic parts and also seeing clearly what I'm soldering.

Status
Not open for further replies.