Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Solenoid water valve

Status
Not open for further replies.

quisquis

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Is it possible to use a 'normally closed' 12v valve so that it is normally open and closes when water level reaches the sensors? I can't find a 'normally open' one anywhere. (Yes total beginner, please reply in words of ½ a syllable. I want to make a device to switch off the supply from the water butt when the bucket is full) Thanks

That's not possible with a standard 2/2 solenoid valve which is normally close by design. A 3/2 valve may be used, but it's not suitable for higher water pressure.

You can just keep it powered and remove power when you want it closed, right?

You'd think, but when the water level reaches the wires it makes rather than breaks the circuit. If I have to stand there and switch off the solenoid I might as well switch off the water butt :)

Unless you will be filling buckets full-time, why would you
want a normally-open valve? Probably easier to flip the
electronics.

For example one sensor to detect "bucket is in place"
and another for "bucket is full", logic BIIP*!BIF=OPEN.

Then you will only use energy when there's a job to do,
not when there's nothing to do (keeping a NO valve
closed, at some watts, 24/7 minus bucket-time).

oh, you're not just talking about a solenoid valve, you're apparently talking about some kind solenoid valve with some kind of sensor.

This isn't getting far. A bucket takes time to fill, I'm old and a tital novice to electronics (which is mainly why this is so difficult for me and why 'why would you want...' questions don't help) I wander off and do something else and come back to a flood and a wasted water butt. I imagine a device I can clip on the bucket, an open valve which will close when water reaches the top of the bucket. Could someone just say if it is possible to make such a circuit?

Hi,

Yes, it is possible to do. I'm somewhat busy now, I'll look for a solution for you this evening and get back to you tomorrow morning about it.

A cheap moisture sensor circuit coud be used to sense bucket water level and let's see what kind of automated valve you can use.

What voltages do you have or just a plug socket for the mains?

That's extremely kind of you, thank you. There's no hurry. I was assuming to use a 9v battery.

Last edited by a moderator:

This isn't getting far. A bucket takes time to fill, I'm old and a tital novice to electronics (which is mainly why this is so difficult for me and why 'why would you want...' questions don't help) I wander off and do something else and come back to a flood and a wasted water butt. I imagine a device I can clip on the bucket, an open valve which will close when water reaches the top of the bucket. Could someone just say if it is possible to make such a circuit?
Don't get pissed at us. Whether you're a total novice or old or whatever has nothing to do with your ability to post an accurate description of what you're trying to accomplish. You're original post asked if you could use a normally open valve. The answer was yes. (And there most certainly ARE 2-way normally open solenoid valves). And I had no idea what a water butt is-had to look it up.

Valves you did not find:

----> https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&k...d=kwd-297970462516&ref=pd_sl_7u0v71ldav_b_p37

----> https://www.grainger.com/category/a...umbing-valves/plumbing/ecatalog/N-ri3Z1z03q6d

----> https://www.solenoidsolutionsinc.com/infographics/how-normally-open-solenoid-valves-work/

----> https://www.freshwatersystems.com/c-972-normally-open-solenoid-valves.aspx

(+)12V--------------float switch-------------normallyopenvalve------------(-)

The float switch makes contact when bucket is full and closes by energizing the water flow valve; if that is your wish.

This is a float switch ----> https://www.capsells.com/products/grundfos-sqf-float-switch.html
Typically found in boating supplies to control bilge pumps.

Last edited:

It was a perfectly accurate description of what I'm trying to do - and you're (or as most of us would say 'your') answer was "that's not possible" which I take as a no. I was seeking electronics advice rather than lifestyle advice, which I seem now to have found, and would appreciate no further input from yourself. Thanks

Food for thought, many thanks

Hi,

As you say you are new to electronics, one solution that involves no more than average daily skills could be a timed off-delay relay connected to a solenoid. You would have to switch it on each time you fill the bucket but I don't think you see that as a problem.

These look like they should fit together:

Broyce Control 7 Timer Relay, Screw, 0.1 s → 100 h, SPDT, 1 Contacts, SPDT, 12 → 230 V ac/dc

(the instruction sheet)

Hydralectric Solenoid Valve 72004, 2 port , NC, 240 V ac, 1/2in

(12V DC version Hydralectric Solenoid Valve 72003, 2 port , NC, 12 V dc, 1/2in )

The solenoid and the timer relay I looked at would set you back around 50 GBP in total.

It's more than possible to make discrete circuits that fit your need, e.g. (and I'm glossing over a couple of additional components needed such as a transistor or two) a pushbotton that senses the bucket in place, that flips a flip flop IC which turns on the solenoid valve and then a moisture level detector could re-flip the flip flop IC to turn off the solenoid, but I think that's a relatively complicated circuit to put together in practice. Or you could use a light dependant resistor to sense the bucket's presence and then the rest would be the same. Maybe a pressure sensor under the bucket to sense (by weight) when the bucket is filled to the level required...

Unless there are reasons for wanting to make it yourself, I'd get a timer relay and a solenoid valve, especially as they can just be connected to the mains supply voltage. The benefit of the 12V DC version of the solenoid is that you can isolate the mains supply side from the relay and solenoid side, always a plus. Going on the description on the website, a 12V DC, 5A power supply should be more than enough to power both devices.

- - - Updated - - -

Don't get pissed at us. Whether you're a total novice or old or whatever has nothing to do with your ability to post an accurate description of what you're trying to accomplish. You're original post asked if you could use a normally open valve. The answer was yes. (And there most certainly ARE 2-way normally open solenoid valves). And I had no idea what a water butt is-had to look it up.

Surely you can't be serious biting this person's head off after your previous sarcastic and frankly rude and unhelpful replies... Come on, Barry, your time in the reformatory for troubled and aggressive youth must have ended years ago... No wonder people don't like using forums when they get troll-like replies like that. What's the problem? If you're having a bad week, there's no need to take it out on strangers who clearly state thay have no knowledge of these things.

To add to your approach to Internet civility: You don't have kids, do you? Do you address them in the same way? I'll bet not, hopefully.

Anyway, maybe the poster has fled before he's berated again for not knowing US vocabulary or anything about electronics...

The simplest thing would be a faucet timer. Either electric or mechanical. It may not fill buckets to exact depth. But you would have some piece of mind if you walked away. i had never heard of a water butt either. Reminds me of the cypress wood cistern our neighbors had when I was young.

I was assuming to use a 9v battery.
How to read this, 9V battery is the only power supply? In this case, it's unlikely that any solenoid valve will have sufficient low power demand, either NO or NC type.

Thanks for all replies. I have the 12v solenoid valve, my only problem was to make it close on a signal. And the answer turned out to be very simple, use a 12v normally closed relay.

Hi,

Glad you've found a solution. Enjoy the gardening (if that's what the bucket's for)!

Status
Not open for further replies.