Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

M34063 and the internal transistor

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

treez

Hi,
The MC34063 datasheet , on its first page, references an application note called AN954/D.
I cannot locate this application note anywhere on the internet. Please advise if you know where to find this App Note?

MC34063 datasheet:
https://www.onsemi.com/pub/Collateral/MC34063A-D.PDF

We wish to investigate the trade-offs between connecting the internal transistor of the MC34063 as a Darlington, or as an emitter follower.

Also, the MC34063 is at least 15 times cheaper than other chips that do the same thing...we want to investigate why this is. Do you know?

Also, the MC34063 is at least 15 times cheaper than other chips that do the same thing...we want to investigate why this is. Do you know?
It's an old device and not as efficient as newer ones, that's all. I still use them for constant current LED applications and they work fine.

Regarding the darlington issue, as far as I can see, the only difference between the devices is whether the collectors of the output transistors are internally joined or brought out to different pins. If externally linked they should work the same, it just buys a little extra flexibility when the drive current can be shut off externally.

Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.