Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Timing Budgeting between Blocks

Status
Not open for further replies.

GDesign

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I need to do the following budgeting:

Block 1 --------> AXI Stream Interface --------->Block2

At the moment:
clock Block1 is 500MHz and input/output delays are set to 50%

If I need to increase the clock of Block1, for example to 2GHz, I think that I should change the input/output delay constraints. Am I wrong ? What is the approach that I must follow to prevent setup violation ?

Many thanks,
GDesign

Input and Output SDC constrains are used to inform the tool about external interfaces - I.E: the pins of your device. This isn't your case.

Is Block 1 synchronous to Block 2 ?
If not - you'll have to ensure proper clock domain crossing between the 2 (use a dual clock FIFO).

Hi,
many thanks for your reply.

Block1 is an external block(macro) that is connected by AXI to Block2.
I am in a very early stage of my design and I would like a method to have a first budgeting.

Sorry for the confusion.
GDesign

Yes, Block1 is a macro(ADC, DAC, CPU, etc).

Yes, Block1 is a macro(ADC, DAC, CPU, etc).

I think you are confused on what budgeting is and where/when it applies. Unless there is a combinational path that starts at block1 and ends at block2, there is no need for budgeting. Just input/output delay modelling.

I think you are confused on what budgeting is and where/when it applies. Unless there is a combinational path that starts at block1 and ends at block2, there is no need for budgeting. Just input/output delay modelling.

Yes, that is what I am asking. My first enquiry was:
"I think that I should change the input/output delay constraints. Am I wrong ?"

Yes, that is what I am asking. My first enquiry was:
"I think that I should change the input/output delay constraints. Am I wrong ?"

Are you at a company? Please ask a more senior person to explain these concepts to you because you are still asking the wrong questions. The concept of input/output delay is meant to model external interfaces.

Hi,
I need to do the following budgeting:

Block 1 --------> AXI Stream Interface --------->Block2

At the moment:
clock Block1 is 500MHz and input/output delays are set to 50%

If I need to increase the clock of Block1, for example to 2GHz, I think that I should change the input/output delay constraints. Am I wrong ? What is the approach that I must follow to prevent setup violation ?

Many thanks,
GDesign

I think you should change the clock period in the create_clock definition of block1 clock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back