Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Knowing Server computing power

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nizar_Ib

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I've a lot of Intel servers at the company I work in, they all have Linux OS.
I need to know how can I compare between servers in a aspect of computing strength.
which server is better? when comparing between servers, what are the details I check?

Hi,

"Which xxx is better?" is a vague question.
It´s as vague as asking: "Which car is better?"

You need to find out on your won which items are important for you.
* is it "fast resonse time"
* is it high data voulme over ethernet
* is it more related to HDD access, with multiple small packets or a few big packets of data
* is it processing video streams
* is it lots of huge database access? On SRAM or HDD or SSD?

There are lot of jobs that (maybe) your server has to do. Nobody can tell where the bottleneck in your system lies. Processing power, ethernet, HDD or anything else.

There will be a lot of tools that can show you the load factor of the different parts/sections in your server.

Klaus

Hi,

"Which xxx is better?" is a vague question.
It´s as vague as asking: "Which car is better?"

You need to find out on your won which items are important for you.
* is it "fast resonse time"
* is it high data voulme over ethernet
* is it more related to HDD access, with multiple small packets or a few big packets of data
* is it processing video streams
* is it lots of huge database access? On SRAM or HDD or SSD?

There are lot of jobs that (maybe) your server has to do. Nobody can tell where the bottleneck in your system lies. Processing power, ethernet, HDD or anything else.

There will be a lot of tools that can show you the load factor of the different parts/sections in your server.

Klaus

Hi,
I'm talking about running scripts based on Python and GUI's based on Java which eats a lot of memory.
I don't use graphics.
So it is a huge database access to "HDD and SSD".

Most versions of Linux have a system monitor program that advise you on network throughput, memory usage, disk usage and CPU load factors. The old real way to see which is best is to run the same program on each of them and use the system monitor to see which copes most easily.

Brian.

Most versions of Linux have a system monitor program that advise you on network throughput, memory usage, disk usage and CPU load factors. The old real way to see which is best is to run the same program on each of them and use the system monitor to see which copes most easily.

Brian.

I don't have time to test my servers.
all what I need to know which server can actually serve me better in terms of running programs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back