Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Discrete power Supply Circuit Working

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aswinth Raj

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I need a transformer-less power supply circuit to power my PIC microcontroller. I came across the following circuit from here
https://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/AppNotes/40171a.pdf

circuit.png

It converts 120V AC to 5V DC (or that's what I understand). I can make out that zener is used as regulator but still cannot get a clear picture

Can some one please explain how this circuit works and how I can modify it to convert 220V AC to 5V DC. Also how to calculate the current it can source?

Hi,

do a search for "transformerless supply".

In short:
The key is: C3 forms a capacitive impedance for current limiting. Xc = 1 / ( 2 x Pi x f x C)
If you have about twice the input voltage, then you need about twice the impedance for the same current.
--> Choose half of the initial capacitor value.

But you don´t talk about
* mains frequency (see formula above "f" )
* load current

Maybe it´s easier for you that C3 is replaced by a resistor with the value "Xc".
You won´t use the resistor in reality, because it will generate a lot of heat.
The benefit of the capacitor is that it doesn´t generate heat. It doesn´t waste true power.

Klaus

The capacitive drop method is an inexpensive supply which gives a few mA at low voltage. It is non-isolated, so if it fails it may expose your expensive equipment to 220 VA, directly or indirectly.

To find capacitive impedance here is the standard formula. Use it to get an approximate figure.

XC = 1 / (2 Pi f C)

Your schematic has 0.1 uF.
At 50 Hz it might provide one or two mA.

Status
Not open for further replies.