Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Mistake with opto coupler

Status
Not open for further replies.

noisepic

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
This is the first time I work with opto coupler, the did-advantage of this type isolation is life-time. Is there any note to keep in mind to avoid defect? any one has experience?

Like all LEDs the amount of light produced will gradually drop over the duration of use. The only difference between a normal LED and one in an opto-coupler is the encapsulation, basically the same degradation applies.

The LED only degrades with use, if your application only uses it intermittently, only the time it is lit up counts towards it's ageing.

Look at the data sheet for expected life and degradation under different conditions. Most opto-couplers will function in continuous use for 20 years or more. They are no more prone to defect than any other component.

Brian.

Hi,

Sometime ago, a friend of mine (well, would you admit to such a stupid mistake?) when first using an optocoupler paid no attention to the warning not to connect the open collector output directly to a (small) motor, the optocoupler frazzled immediately. I doubt you meant that kind of simple mistake...

The lower the current you use to drive the optocoupler, the less it will degrade with time.
You do not have to operate it near the maximum ratings if it's not necessary in the application.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back