Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is core loss in an inductor proportional to it's inductance value?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plecto

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have a filter inductor that filters out the switching frequency of a class D amplifier for a work related project. Efficiency of the amplifier is important so I want the core loss in the inductor to be as small as possible without sending through too much of the switching frequency. I first thought that core losses was proportional to the inductance value, but after testing with different inductors I can't really see any difference in efficiency so I'm beginning to doubt that it's that simple. Could someone shed some light on this for me?

core loss is a property dependent on the corematerial. frequency of operation .

Rolloff curve is one factor. Another factor is overall resistance in the circuit.
It might also be expressed as Amperes going through the circuit.

High current, low Henry value.
Low current, high H.

Suppose your load is an 8 ohm speaker. Carrier frequency 44 kHz.
Suppose you want to let through as much signal as you can below 15 kHz. Reasonable inductive impedance target might be 8 percent of the load (call it 1 ohm.)

The formula for inductive impedance:

XL = 2 Pi f L

Solve for L in order to get a result for Henry value that gives you 1 ohm. Say it's approximate within an order of magnitude.

Simulate or test that inductive value in your circuit. Adjust value up and down to see how it affects response at your intended range of frequencies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back