Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

FPGA Operating system

Status
Not open for further replies.

adwnis123

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
What are the difficulties of producing an operating system for a FPGA? Because from the few I have heard there is nothing made about that, or it can be as a PhD program..

What are the difficulties of producing an operating system for a FPGA? Because from the few I have heard there is nothing made about that, or it can be as a PhD program..

... the whole question makes no sense as posed, as an OS runs on a processor, not on a programmable fabric.

Linux runs just fine on an FPGA, if the processor is programmed with a CPU.

It seems that you lack a basic understanding of what an FPGA actually is...
It's like asking what are the difficulties in an operating system for NAND and NOR gates...

After watching these:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfmlsDW3Z4c
You'll immediately see how little sense your question has.

There are hybrid parts with CPU+FPGA as well such as the Zinq and its counterparts from Altera.

No
More like NIOS, MicroBlaze, PicoBlaze

Hello,

PicoBlaze has not enough resources to run OS - especially program ROM (form 1K to 4K words - Picoblaze instruction is 18 bit long) and RAM. Second issue with Picoblaze is lack of working properly C compiler (praktically one can use only Picoblaze assembler) - in contex of runnig OS on it.

Regards

- - - Updated - - -

No
More like NIOS, MicroBlaze, PicoBlaze

Hello,

why "No" as far as I know someone can run "Solaris OS" on "OpenSparc" soft-processor.

See project site:

https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/systems/opensparc/index.html

Regards

- - - Updated - - -

Is there an Echo in here? (look at post #6)

Sorry - I didn't notice your post when answering.

Regards

Last edited:

Can I run Kali linux on an FPGA, or at least program the FPGA to run commands and run thee Kali linux on a hdd? connected to the FPGA?

I think you're still not getting it.

An FPGA can 'be' anything. One thing it can be is a full fledged 32-bit processor and a 32-bit processors can run linux.

Ok, because I do not have the appropriate knowledge on this, can a Xilinx Spartan 3E be used for this? Should I use other any other FPGA model?

Thank you...

Ok, because I do not have the appropriate knowledge on this, can a Xilinx Spartan 3E be used for this? Should I use other any other FPGA model?

Thank you...

Why do you want to do this on an FPGA. You could probably do far more, much more quickly, with a $30 raspberry pi

Why do you want to do this on an FPGA. You could probably do far more, much more quickly, with a $30 raspberry pi

Because as I know (correct me if I am wrong) FPGAs are far more fast than Raspberies..

Because as I know (correct me if I am wrong) FPGAs are far more fast than Raspberies..

It depends on the FPGA.
The top end FPGAs (with embedded arms or Intel CPUS) will probably run Linux pretty fast. But they will cost you $5000+. And you're not running Linux on the FPGA, you're running it on the embedded Arm/Intel core that is hard IP (Ie. not made of FPGA logic). The Spartan 3E will probably run Linux extremely slowly. with Limited IO. Probbaly no hard storage, and likely no USB.

A Rasberry Pi is $30, and very capable of running linux, with lots of IO options.

No, FPGA's can be faster than a processor but usually at a specific or specialized task.

There is a reason FPGA's are comparatively less common than processors and the reason is that they are generally NOT faster or more cost effective than a well specified processor for most tasks.

FPGA's have a role in low volume products, highly parallel and specialized tasks.

Can I run Kali linux on an FPGA, or at least program the FPGA to run commands and run thee Kali linux on a hdd? connected to the FPGA?

Hello,

you can not because Linux for FPGA is almost kernel + basic packages. There aren't repositories with packages from Kali Linux for FPGA and particular SoC (like Zynq of soft-processor).
You have to compile all packages from sources what for time constraints and needed knowledge is impossible to do.

BTW: Linux for FPGA's is very basic OS system for embedded solutions (and writing custom peripherals in HDL languages like VHDL or Verilog).
Regards

Hello,

you can not because Linux for FPGA is almost kernel + basic packages. There aren't repositories with packages from Kali Linux for FPGA and particular SoC (like Zynq of soft-processor).
You have to compile all packages from sources what for time constraints and needed knowledge is impossible to do.

BTW: Linux for FPGA's is very basic OS system for embedded solutions (and writing custom peripherals in HDL languages like VHDL or Verilog).
Regards

So if I understood correct, it is possible to build a hardware on a FPGA by seeing what specifications does a LINUX OS has...??

Status
Not open for further replies.