Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Dissimilarity in FEM Results of Resonant Patch Antenna in HFSS and ADS

Status
Not open for further replies.

rijubrata

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I generally use ADS momentum for circuit design, not used it for Antenna, I usually use HFSS for antenna.

I was comparing the results of a microstrip resonant patch antenna designed in HFSS with ADS and EMPro (FEM only). But the resonant frequency and return loss value are completely different. I am attaching both the HFSS and ADS workspace.

1. I can't extend the substrate in the X and Y direction independently in FEM simulation setup, it is taking same extension in both X and Y direction.

2. ADS FEM and EMPro FEM (exported from ADS without changing any settings) results aren't matching.

3. Most importantly, the resonant frequency and the corresponding S11 value of HFSS is not matching with ADS.

4. For finite ground structure, with drawn ground plane in cond2 layer, how to simulate it in FEM with rectangular shaped waveport? it looks triangular sheet port. I also tried to use edge port in the cond2 layer coinciding the feed width, but both MoM and FEM is not running.

ADS workspace contains the following

1.patch_MoM => patch with infinite ground plane, used momentum.

2.patch_fin_gnd_MoM => patch with finite ground plane (same dimension that I used in HFSS), used momentum.

3.patch_FEM => patch with similar FEM settings and lateral/vertical extension as HFSS.

=> I exported 3.patch_FEM in EMPro and did FEM simulation, but ADS FEM and EMPro FEM is not matching. EMPro FEM result is attached.

4.patch_fin_gnd_FEM => A finite ground plane (same dimension that I used in HFSS) is used, rests are same as 3. lateral extension changed to 0 without touching the vertical extension.

Attachments

• EMPro_patch.png
    EMPro_patch.png
    59.4 KB · Views: 181
  • HFSS_results.jpg
    HFSS_results.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 174
  • patch.png
    patch.png
    20.9 KB · Views: 170
  • patch_HFSS.png
    patch_HFSS.png
    11.6 KB · Views: 170
  • patch_10gig_0.508_param_FINAL_checked.hfss.zip
    33.3 KB · Views: 97
  • patch_antenna_sim_study.zip
    2.8 MB · Views: 94

I am also attaching the measured result and the comparison of all.

Attachments

• all_in_one_comparison.png
    all_in_one_comparison.png
    22.7 KB · Views: 219
  • fabricated_patch.jpg
    fabricated_patch.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 166
  • Measured_result.rar
    43.1 KB · Views: 104

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search