Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Suggested corrections Data pattern identification of a joystick with CAN Bus topology

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mithun_K_Das

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Data pattern indentification of a joystick with CAN Bus tropology

Do anyone have experience with CAN bus Joystick? I've a joystick that is using CAN Bus tropology. How can I read the data ? As far I found, CAN bus have Identifier bit, and some other patterns. But how can I read that? Can anyone have experience with this type of Joystick?

**broken link removed**

Its Sennebogen Crane joystick. I have one new. I want to use it to work for a machine. But how can I read the data from it? It have 5 pins, +24V, GND, CAN_Low, CAN_High, ISOK (which is short with GND).

Re: Data pattern indentification of a joystick with CAN Bus tropology

Sorry, your attachment expired prematurely. Try uploading again, and then immediately submit the message, without delay.

There are potentiometer joysticks and there are switched joysticks. What type is yours? I guess it's a potentiometer type, since you list two data wires. These are X position and Y position.

(If it is switched then it detects up-down--left-right. That makes 4 data wires.)

A plain simple XY joystick changes resistance of the potentiometers. It sends an analog voltage. Your equipment contains an analog to digital converter.

Or perhaps your joystick contains an ADC? Then it sends data in digital form. You need to discover whether it sends 8 bits or 16 bits, whether the value is signed or unsigned, etc.

Does it have a button on or near the stick? It probably sends 0V when off, 24 V when pressed. This may be the ISOK wire.

Hi,

if you want to know the CAN_bus data format: Then I assume there is no other way than to contact the datasheet / manufacturer of the joystick.

Klaus

Hi,

if you want to know the CAN_bus data format: Then I assume there is no other way than to contact the datasheet / manufacturer of the joystick.

Klaus
That joystick have no model no, no identification no. Just one information, CAN bus of 250Kbps. I want to know the data pattern that is used industrially. There was no clear information I got.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, your attachment expired prematurely. Try uploading again, and then immediately submit the message, without delay.

There are potentiometer joysticks and there are switched joysticks. What type is yours? I guess it's a potentiometer type, since you list two data wires. These are X position and Y position.

(If it is switched then it detects up-down--left-right. That makes 4 data wires.)

A plain simple XY joystick changes resistance of the potentiometers. It sends an analog voltage. Your equipment contains an analog to digital converter.

Or perhaps your joystick contains an ADC? Then it sends data in digital form. You need to discover whether it sends 8 bits or 16 bits, whether the value is signed or unsigned, etc.

Does it have a button on or near the stick? It probably sends 0V when off, 24 V when pressed. This may be the ISOK wire.

That information you provided is very common to know. Do you have any data pattern for CAN bus? Please share if you have any example of data pattern. That will be helpful.

Hi,

That joystick have no model no, no identification no
Good luck with "trial and error".

I think it´s more likely that we guess your birthday than guessing the data format without any joystick information.

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.