Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to judge the drinkability of water whatever its nature

Status
Not open for further replies.

abouabdelmajid

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I would like to design a system that allows to judge the potability of water after having made a certain number of measurements with the available sensors such as the PH sensor, turbidity, temperature, TDS meter...

after some research I found that there are 8 essetial parameters that once respected their values we can say that the water is 100% drinkable. The settings are:

- pH (PH sensor)
- Turbidity (turbidity sensor)
- Color
- Conductivity
- Total dissolved solids (TDS metre)
- Hardness
- Temperature (temperature sensor)
- chlorine (Redox sensor

So I told myself that we have to get sensors for each parameter and with arduino we will be able to know the good results.

Am I thinking right? I exaggerated at the level of many parameters? do I have to add others or eliminate some of them?

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

Bacteria would be my biggest concern.
Add a Microscope?:-D

Hi,

Normally I wouldn't post anything if I don't know the answer. This comment is simply a concern since we're dealing with the drinkability of water under test.

From a novice standpoint, I think bacterial contamination in water is also a concern. Is any of your settings deal with this parameter?

Moreover, if you're pursuing this research, it is better to visit a water testing facility, prepare interview questions. It's better to ask an expert in the topic first. The system comes later when you have the problem established.

- - - Updated - - -

@chemelec

that is what I was thinking. lmao

One time, Many years ago I was on a mountain in the early Spring and there was a Nice Creek coming from the Snow Pack up higher.
I took a drink from it and tasted Really Good and refreshing.
However, 30 minutes later I got Really Sick and it Lasted a few days.

In my village the water is filtered and chlorinated but completely undrinkable because of residual e-Coli and Clostridium bacteria. Even though everyone here again filters the water at their houses (1 or 5 micron cartridge filters) and then irradiates with UV, it still fails safety tests.

As well as the tests you mention, you also have to sample and incubate on a culture medium for at least 48 hours to allow bacterial colonies to grow and be counted. Dissolved metals are also a problem here and the main cause of failure to be sterilized by UV. High iron levels (here >1800ug/L) causes a shielding effect that stops UV penetrating the entire flow through the equipment and some un-irradiated or partially irradiated bacteria manages to creep through and then grow again.

Brian.

For Bacteria, Ozone it.
Our Well Water here is Good, Just a Bit over in the maximum Recommended Arsenic Level.

In my village the water is filtered and chlorinated but completely undrinkable because of residual e-Coli and Clostridium bacteria. Even though everyone here again filters the water at their houses (1 or 5 micron cartridge filters) and then irradiates with UV, it still fails safety tests.

As well as the tests you mention, you also have to sample and incubate on a culture medium for at least 48 hours to allow bacterial colonies to grow and be counted. Dissolved metals are also a problem here and the main cause of failure to be sterilized by UV. High iron levels (here >1800ug/L) causes a shielding effect that stops UV penetrating the entire flow through the equipment and some un-irradiated or partially irradiated bacteria manages to creep through and then grow again.

Brian.

I am on well water and it also has high levels of iron. I recently had a filter system installed for this. Basically it draws air into the water at the pump discharge. This causes the iron in solution to oxidize which can then be filtered out.

after some research I found that there are 8 essetial parameters that once respected their values we can say that the water is 100% drinkable

I would propose to myself the challenge of looking for substances that do not fit into the above set of criteria. There should be a significant number of cases.

One time, Many years ago I was on a mountain in the early Spring and there was a Nice Creek coming from the Snow Pack up higher.
I took a drink from it and tasted Really Good and refreshing.
However, 30 minutes later I got Really Sick and it Lasted a few days.

Hi,

Theory is go to the source of a river/spring/whatever to avoid e.g. dead cattle or similar in the water that may be upstream from where you are. I doubt that approach is effective either.

RO filter cartridges can filter tds to almost 10 from 200 to 500 level, iron should also get of it i think, post UV should have good water. my fried asked same question to make a gadget to know water toxic or not, i said impossible, its chemical and other process not electronic.

Status
Not open for further replies.