Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Working with sparten 3e starter board

Status
Not open for further replies.

ranayehya

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello All!
I am starting my first project(an and gate) with the kit mentioned above and ISE design suite
The flow run smoothly. But in the end, the kit did not work although the program succeeded
How can I solve this?
The code
Code:
entity code is
    Port ( x : in  STD_LOGIC;
           y : in  STD_LOGIC;
           z : out  STD_LOGIC);
end code;

architecture Behavioral of code is

begin

z <=x and y;
end Behavioral;

The constraint file
Code:
NET "z" LOC = "E12" ;
NET "x" LOC = "N17" ;
NET "y" LOC = "H18" ;

How do you know it doesn't work? How are you testing it?

The constraint file consists of 2 switches and a LED in the board. I switched it on and off and the LED did not work.

Did you get the polarity correct? The LEDs are usually active low.

Hi,

And you need proper input levels. High or Low, but never leave it floating.

Klaus

Sorry Sir. TrickyDicky but I do not get your question very well
Are all LEDs operate when they get voltage?
I took an image from datasheet

C.PNG

So are you saying "z","x" and "y" in your constraints file match to two switches and an led? What are the switches connected to?

Yes, Mr.Barry. I said that

I edited in constraint file Mr.KlausST and nothing changed.
NET "z" LOC = "E12" |IOSTANDARD = LVTTL | SLEW = SLOW | DRIVE = 8 ;
NET "x" LOC = "N17" | IOSTANDARD = LVTTL | PULLUP ;
NET "y" LOC = "H18" | IOSTANDARD = LVTTL | PULLUP ;

C.PNG
This is what I have done a while ago and I did it again today but the kit did nothing.

Hi,

We still don´t know about the schematic of N17 and H18.

The starter board has 3 JTAG devies in a chain?

Klaus

When I saw tutorials on YouTube about programming the kit, there was 3 JTAG devices in videos and the kit in the videos was programmed
This are the switches
C.PNG
And this is the LED
Capt.PNG

Hi,

This is no schematic.
The picture doesn´t show the switch connections.

Klaus

I added a schematic file to my project and selected "View HDL Functional Model" option from design menu and it gives me (schematic file name.vhf) file and that is what written inside it and the schematic file is empty.

Capt.PNG

Hi,

It takes rather much time to help you.

* finding out what starterboard you use
* looking for the starterboard documentation
* downloading
* finding the schematic

--> It´s "Schematic sheet 13" that tells about the switch connections.

You need to know this information to write your code correctly. Thus you have to read it and you should have it by your hand while writing the code.

Now one can see that they use an alternating switch. Using the pullup is not worng, but not necessary.
(In opposite to the four buttons "W-S-E-N", where a pullup is definitely does not work.)

Klaus

I added a schematic file to my project and selected "View HDL Functional Model" option from design menu and it gives me (schematic file name.vhf) file and that is what written inside it and the schematic file is empty.

View attachment 148847

You added an empty schematic and are now surprised that your associated vhdl is also empty? What was the point of adding the schematic?

You are making it extremely difficult to help you. You are giving us very little to go on.

Please tell some info from impact GUI and the programming file?

Make sure that in the Synthesis options the "Add I/O Buffers" option is enabled.

"Add I/O Buffers" option tells XST to add or not add IBUF/OBUF/IOBUF on the top level ports. By default, it is enabled, but maybe you somehow disabled it?
You need I/O buffers on the top level ports.
Only when you are synthesizing a submodule or a module which is going to be used as a submodule of another design, you need to disable this option because I/O Buffer should be in the top level.

When it is disabled, the tool won't do a pin assignment because you don't have pads in your design.

Status
Not open for further replies.