Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Effect of frequency on dielectric constant and thus capacity of parralel plate CAP

Status
Not open for further replies.

ark5230

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am worried about the effect of frequency on dielectric constant and thus capacity of parralel plate CAPACITOR.
C = KA/d
C is capacity, K is dielectric constant of the medium between the two plates, A is area of the parallel plates and d is the spacing between them.

Is this relation independent of frequency or this formula can be used at all frequency by using corresponding value of K at that frequency.

I think that dielectric constant (in dielectrics with no mobile
charge) is relatively frequency-independent, and error terms
in capacitor value vs frequency can be ascribed to series R,
L and shunt C (to where?) elements lumped into the
measurement.

In a RF IC PDK you would see capacitor elements with
R, L, C parasitics embedded, at least covering what lies
within the physical extents of, and respond to geometry
of, the capacitor cell.

Losses vs frequency is a different matter but properly
measured these ought not to affect C itself.

Actually, In addition to the frequency related concern I was trying to find out how do I calculate the capacitance of a capacitor with two layers of the dielectric as shown in the figure with two different dielectric constants.
Capacitor.jpg

Attachments

• Capacitor.bmp
    150.1 KB · Views: 83

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back