Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

lookup table implementation in verilog

Status
Not open for further replies.

krishvamsi

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
how to store the following values in a lookup table (2 dimensional memory) which is connected at the output of 8 bit latch in verilog ??

values to be stored are 0.011,0.087,-0.045,-0.415

Hi,

I just see 4 floating point values....

How are they related to "8 bit"?

I can´t see "2 dimensional" nor can a floating point value fit into "8 bit"

--> Please elaborate your question.

Klaus

LSB.PNG
This is the figure i was talking about .

- - - Updated - - -

i'm doing a project on design of a low power logarithmic arithmetic unit . As you know logarithmic addition is complicated which is given by logb(x+y)=logbx+logb(1+b^-(logbx-logby)) . so a lookup table is required for computing the 2nd part of the logarithmic addition function . if you carefully observe the figure which i posted in previous reply -

X and Y are two 8bit numbers .
sx=X[7]
sy=Y[7]
x=logX
y=logY
d is an 8 bit register
d=x-y
d0 is the LSB bit which is used for enabling the latches . so in the figure shown , the 4 latches receive d[7:1]
Till this point i coded everything and i got the simulations perfectly . now 4 lookup tables should be connected at the output of 7 bit latches out of which
the first two represent addition function and the rest two represent subtraction function . I theoritically calculated the function values and obtained 0.0111,0.087,-0.045,-0.415 respectively . so , my doubt is how do i store these floating point numbers in a memory (lookup table) in verilog ? could you please help me out

Hi,

still unclear where are the floating point numbers.
From the text I assume it is d, but d is an 8 bit value, which is not suitable for floating point.

Or are you talking about fixed point? Where and what format?

Btw: It´s not very usual to use floating point values in an FPGA - but not impossible if the application really needs it.

Klaus

here i need to partition the lookup table based on sd0 which acts as enable . latches are used to freeze the address of lookup tables . At a time only 1 lookup table will be active . i have to connect 4 such LUT's to the latches . how to store these values in a memory in verilog 0.0111,0.087,-0.045,-0.415 respectively . can you give me the direct verilog syntax for this ?

Then how can I store it ? Will you please tell me any other way

There are many different ways of representing floating point numbers. Using 8 bits is not one of them. Do a search on IEEE 754 for one format.

Floating point representation in Verilog

how to represent these numbers in verilog?
0.011,0.087,-0.045,-0.415

Hi,

What new information are you wating for?
8 bit is impossible.
Thus:
* either choose a fixed point format (with your desired range and resolution. No one can do this for you)
* or choose a standard floating point format. (very common is the 32 bit binary format)

There are online calculators for decimal (float) to binary (float) and vice versa calculations.

Klaus

hello i used combinational logic for implementing LUT by using case statements . whatever values i gave are not coming exactly in the simulation. only integer part is coming and fractional part is not comimng . for ex: 5.734 . my simulation is showing only 5 . how do i get the exact values ?

hello i used combinational logic for implementing LUT by using case statements . whatever values i gave are not coming exactly in the simulation. only integer part is coming and fractional part is not comimng . for ex: 5.734 . my simulation is showing only 5 . how do i get the exact values ?

It seems that your design does not work properly - it might be wrongly designed.

you didnt get my question. there is nothing wrong in the design . by using case statements i only assigned outputs for corresponding inputs as 0.011,0.087,-0.045,-0.415 . but in the simulation all 0's are coming . do u know how to assign the above numbers in verilog ? please help me out . i got stuck here from so many days

Hi,

i got stuck here from so many days
No wonder.
* Ignoring our posts about dataformat
* not showing your code / design
* not showing your simulation / simulation results

Klaus

If you are sure that your design is 100% correct try to contact with your's tool manufacturer.

you didnt get my question. there is nothing wrong in the design . by using case statements i only assigned outputs for corresponding inputs as 0.011,0.087,-0.045,-0.415 . but in the simulation all 0's are coming . do u know how to assign the above numbers in verilog ? please help me out . i got stuck here from so many days

If you are sure that your design is 100% correct try to contact with your's tool manufacturer.

Design is obviously not 100% correct.

e.g.

Code Verilog - [expand]
wire [7:0] sig1;
assign sig1 = 0.011; // always assigns 0 to sig1 as only the integer part is assigned

wire [7:0] sig2;
assign sig2 = 18.0235; // results in the value 8'b 0001_0010 (18 - integer part) being assigned to sig2

As was already pointed out in previous replies: you can scale the values, use a fixed point format, or use some floating point format.

Given your track record you'll probably just ask how to assign your values again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back