Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I came across two 2 problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

radium98

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i came across two 2 problems

Hello everyone.
i have two small problems that i expect to be solved by EDABOARD users and help me after a long way to try before myself.

i came with a file that have an extension of .DSN what software or link to it to open the schematic pcb.

my second problem is i have a .HEX file of a wattmeter tat is no more posted on the net it is a very old project since 2006 where website is no more online,it was collected and the processor is 16F88/87
that i need to read and modify the hex to put my name of my radio station at start up.Attachmenets uploaded .
thanks .

Attachments

• PROGCO~1.rar
    6.7 KB · Views: 58
  • 876.rar
    13.2 KB · Views: 56

Re: i came across two 2 problems

Hello everyone.
i have two small problems that i expect to be solved by EDABOARD users and help me after a long way to try before myself.

i came with a file that have an extension of .DSN what software or link to it to open the schematic pcb.

my second problem is i have a .HEX file of a wattmeter tat is no more posted on the net it is a very old project since 2006 where website is no more online,it was collected and the processor is 16F88/87
that i need to read and modify the hex to put my name of my radio station at start up.Attachmenets uploaded .
thanks .

The .dsn file could be OrCad. I'm not sure if other vendors use that extension.

Hex editors are easy to find, but I'm not sure what you have in mind with editing your file. Unless there are some specific locations where you can modify the name, Im not sure what else you can do.

The file extension DSN was also used by oldest versions of Proteus project files.

.HEX file of a wattmeter tat is no more posted on the net it is a very old project since 2006 where website is no more online,it was collected and the processor is 16F88/87
that i need to read and modify the hex

Do you mean it's machine language? Then it can be read by an assembler (instead of trying to make do with a hex editor), and displayed in assembly language which makes it a little more understandable to humans.

Looking at the context the DSN file is almost certainly a Proteus file for pre 8.0 version of Proteus, although Proteus 8.0 and above still can import a DSN file.
The Hex file is an assembled ASM file which can be loaded into Proteus and single stepped if required which may help in the understanding of the code.

Thanks all for the Suggestion .I will try to use proteus and see what i have ,and i will post a breif video to show the startup and ask what do i want to do .
regards.

https://youtu.be/CWY15raURnk

this is what i need to remove or change .How i could read the hex attached in first post ,proteus does not serve .
thanks.

Dear barry i would like to know how i can load the HEX file i attached in first post and read it ,to try to remove the scrolling written at start of the machine.

See post #2. The hex code is the program that your microprocessor runs. Embedded in there SOMEWHERE is the text that is written to the display. Do you know which bytes those are? I don't. And unless you do, you can't go and change the text, can you?

And as others have suggested, you might be able to use a disassembler to view the code.

If you want to edit any text in the program it would be easier to convert the hex file to a binary file and edit it. To convert to a binary file I would use HEX2BIN.EXE and to edit the bin file I would use HxD hex editor.

If you want to edit any text in the program it would be easier to convert the hex file to a binary file and edit it. To convert to a binary file I would use HEX2BIN.EXE and to edit the bin file I would use HxD hex editor.
I totally disagree. Why would editing binary be easier than hex?

for HEX2BIN.EXE can you upload or give the autor site ,if not in public if it is not allwed in PM please ,because i can found many with same name ,is it a window operating w7 64 bits .

I totally disagree. Why would editing binary be easier than hex?
A Intel HEX file has address bytes as well as checksum for the lines if you modify the code bytes you also have to correct the checksum also it can get confusing as to what is what. A binary file is a straight dump of the code as it is in memory. It is then a simple matter to use BIN2HEX to convert back to a HEX file.
for HEX2BIN.EXE can you upload or give the autor site ,if not in public if it is not allwed in PM please ,because i can found many with same name ,is it a window operating w7 64 bits
https://sourceforge.net/projects/hex2bin/
This is a DOS program and should be run from the command prompt. I normally copy HEX2BIN.EXE to the root of the c: drive as well as the *.HEX file and type the command C:\hex2bin filename.HEX
Note the program does not understand long file names and paths should be kept short.

As an alternative for the old DOS tools, you should take a look at sourceforge srec_cat or srecord which can convert all kind of hex and binary programming files, including Intel hex.

cmd does not respond i did what pjmelect

This is a DOS program and should be run from the command prompt. I normally copy HEX2BIN.EXE to the root of the c: drive as well as the *.HEX file and type the command C:\hex2bin filename.HEX
Note the program does not understand long file names and paths should be kept short.

what i am doing wrong ?

Attachments

• hex2bin.png
    hex2bin.png
    189 KB · Views: 74

You may need to type hex2bin.exe

Your screenshot shows hex2bin among the list of files. Its type should be 'exe' (short for executable), assuming it's really the application. Sometimes .exe is not displayed in a list for some reason, probably if your OS is set to hide file types.

It means the complete program name is hex2bin.exe.
So it might help if you type that.

If it runs, then it should display a menu that allows you to open your desired file.

- - - Updated - - -

I see one of your attempts says hex2bin.exe. However it is followed by backslash and a filename. This caused an error. Omit all typing after hex2bin.exe.

You should be able to navigate to the root level, and merely type the name of a program installed at root level.
To check that it's there, type DIR *.exe.
Then you should see hex2bin.exe or hex2bin.
That confirms you're at root level.

V

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

not working this method with me BradtheRad

Make sure you see all files in the directory by typing DIR/a.

What is listed when you type DIR *.exe/a?

Notice your data file is listed with 8 characters PROGCO~1.HEX...
That name ought to load okay.

However you attempt to open it as HEXPROGCO~1.HEX which is more than 8 characters. It generates an error because the OS can only handle 8.

You have put the files in the root of the c: drive as I have sugested, but the command prompt is at C:\users\onair To put the command prompt at the root of the C: drive type in CD .. (return) twice.

Status
Not open for further replies.