Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

USB Headset Issue (H390)

Status
Not open for further replies.

amarkrish108

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello Everyone,

I have a problem with my USB headset, If the headset is kept at a specific position it works slightly ok if it is moved also even a few mm, can hear only a faded or very low sound.

Anyone knows why this thing happens and can I resolve it by repairing the headset, if yes how can I do it?

I am using Logitech h390 Headset.

Every few years my headphones all start to get a similar problem as yours. If it's not a loose wire in the headpiece then it's the plug wires developing a bad contact. It can happen due to one strong yank although normal use causes it eventually.

If you're lucky the transducer is easily accessible, so you can solder a wire back on. Or, you may need to bend wires in an effort to locate an internal break.

When a plug starts to bother me sufficiently I fix it by:
1) clip off the plug.
2) remove all plastic using a knife and wirecutters.
3) strip insulation from the wires.
4) solder wires to plug.
5) slather on hot melt glue to fabricate a new makeshift grip on the plug.

It is unlikely to be a break the USB wiring as that would stop the sound completely and also probably send an error message to you. In almost all cases this will be a fractured wire linking either the USB interface board to the earphone speakers or the wire across the headband.

Brian.

Hi, Mr. BradtheRad and Mr. betwixt,

Thank-you both for your generous inputs, as Mr. betwixt stated I am not getting any error message when the USB Headphone is plugged in the PC, and if the wire is sightly pressured near the volume controller then it gives full volume, else low.

Then I think this is the area in which I have to work on.

Is there any guide which can help me with this, as very new to this kind of things.

I would say there is a 99% chance the problem is inside the strain relief gland where the cable leaves the volume control on the headset side. To repair it will be difficult but not impossible. You need to open the volume control unit, I can't see in Logitech's pictures how it fits together, if it has screws it will be easy, if it is welded you might be able to open it by squeezing gently in a vice until it cracks along the joint. Don't blame me if it doesn't come apart cleanly!

When you have it opened, remove the strain relief gland (the bendy bit with slots around it) and note exactly where the wires in the cable are soldered to the board. Unsolder the wires and snip off a few cm of cable so the bad area is isolated. Now, try to remove the wire from the strain relief, you might be able to pull it out but usually the molding process makes it bond to the outer layer of the cable. If all else fails, grip the relief in a vice and run a small drill through it to remove the original wires.

Next, thread the cut end of the cable back into the strain relief, it isn't vital that it fits tightly but it helps. A tiny amount of lubricant might be needed. Then trim back the insulation to expose the wires inside the cable and re-solder them back to their original places.

Basically, you are cutting out the bad bit and rejoining the cable again. It will be a few cm shorter but that isn't normally a problem. If you do replace the whole cable you need to note how many wires are inside it and it's outside diameter so you can buy a replacement. It shouldn't be hard to find a suitable alternative cable but you might find it is only available in big and quite expensive reels.

Brian.

Thanks, Mr. Brian,

I will try accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back