Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Lighting product designers cannot exist in the South of UK?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

treez

Hello,
There are seven lighting companies in UK who design their own products…..

1…Forge Europa in Ulverston,
2…EPA Excil in Normanton
3…Harvard in Normanton,
4….VisionAlert in Leeds
5….Pulsarlight in Cambridge
6…Mackwell in Walsall
7…Orbick in Walsall

All of these are in the North of UK….or rather, North of central Birmingham, and exist where property and Industrial unit prices are cheap.

(The only exception is PulsarLight, but these are an exception because they have a loyal customer base consisting of the MD’s ex-university friends from Cambridge University who are rich people in the Middle East.)

Is it true that because profit margins are so tight in Lighting, it is just not viable to have UK lighting design companies based in the South of UK where property prices are too expensive?

You don't list any in my country, Wales. Yet we manufacture all the Raspberry Pi computers at World beating manufacturing prices and have several other similar products and industries. It isn't to do with a north/south split, mostly it is to do with historical industrial areas and geography. The climate in the south is better for food production and the resources, both human and mineral are more abundant in the north. It makes sense to put the industry where the resources are. I'm sure the same scenario applies in other countries, please bear in mind this Forum has no national or political boundaries.

Ask yourself, if the south of the UK prohibits investment because of high property prices, who is to blame? Does a house brick in London cost more than a brick in say Newcastle?

Specifically regarding design rather than manufacturing, being a technical stage, it can be done anywhere and often is. From here I've designed battery chargers for a company in New York, telecoms testers for Romania and aircraft flight monitors for a company in Thailand. I have only ever seen the prototypes, never the production units.

Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back