Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Lookup table implementation in Verilog

Status
Not open for further replies.

krishvamsi

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
how to implement a function of the following type sb(z) = logb(1 + bz) in a 2 - dimensional lookup table in verilog ?

1. Calculate offline the results of your function for ANY possible input.
2. Store the results in a ROM where the input to the function in actually the address.
3. Code this ROM in Verilog just as you would any other ROM.

Good luck.

so here i should store inputs in an address register and outputs in a data register right ?

Not register - ROM (Read Only Memory).
Your application will drive the address to this ROM (with represent all possible function arguments)
And get the answer from the data-out port that correspond to that particular address.

The LUT trades memory for computation time / complexity.

ok now i got it . so what should be my LUT size if i want to compute logarithmic addition of two 8 bit numbers ?

So if:
1. The address width is 8 + 8 = 16
2. And each cell stores the result which is n bits wide (you decide how wide should n be).

The size of the LUT in bits is:
2^16 * n

The size of the LUT in bytes is:
(2^16 * n)/8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back