Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Footprint for Oslon Square GW CSSRM2 LED

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

treez

Hello,

We are doing a footprint for the Osram “oslon square” GW CSSRM2 LED.
It will be mounted on IMS PCB. We wish to have a big thermal copper area connected to the pad. Page 15 of the datasheet gives some pad recommendation........but does not state the entire copper dimensions. They give copper recommendations for approximately an area of 6mm x 6mm.
What we wish to know is, is there likely to be any restriction to the placement of thermal copper beyond that approx 6mm x 6mm area shown?......or can copper be placed anywhere when beyond that 6mm x 6mm area?

Oslon square LED
https://dammedia.osram.info/media/resource/hires/osram-dam-5563433/GW CSSRM2.PM_EN.pdf

Copper Areas I think are for cooling purpose.So, I guess these copper areas can properly be placed anywhere connected to main PADS...( If there is no area constraint )

Reactions: treez

T

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
The copper is there to take away the heat from the component, the more, the better. But it is always limited by the placement space on the board

In this case I would build the component footprint according to the data-sheet with the 36mm² copper area. In this way you meet the requirement of the manufacturer.

During layout you can add extra copper when space allows this.

Reactions: treez

T

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back