Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Thin coil of current E-field in HFSS

Status
Not open for further replies.

shmiv

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I'm looking to extract the E-field (at various distances) for a thin coil in free space with a specified sinusoidal current in HFSS.

I have a thin 2D coil (10 µm thick) drawn as a sheet and set as a Perfect E boundary. It has a radius of 10 mm. I've created a gap of 10 µm at the left end of the coil, and filled that in with another 2D sheet that's designated as the current excitation at the default of 1 A. The coil is inside a vacuum open radiation boundary.

In running the simulation at 450 MHz, everything converges just fine. However, when I look at the E-field 2 mm above the coil, it clearly has the right shape (rotational E-field only), but is not centered on the coil. It almost looks as though the current source is leaking/radiating outside the coil. If I rotate the coil and the location of the current source, this "center" moves with it.

Did I not define the current excitation correctly? Or should I use a different source? The E-field looks right except for where it is centered. Any help is greatly appreciated! I've attached my archived simulation, as well as pictures of the source and vector E-field.

Attachments

• coil_source_closeup.png
    coil_source_closeup.png
    195.9 KB · Views: 183
  • Efield_vector_coil.jpg
    Efield_vector_coil.jpg
    467.4 KB · Views: 126
  • current_loop_free_space_HFSSmodel.zip
    37.6 KB · Views: 81

If I am not wrong, you have neglected the thickness and just defined a 2D sheet for the coil (In order to make it perfect E) ? If yes, instead of that I would recommend you to define a 3D coil and assign it as a pec material. Now that you have a thickness, define current source on the face of the coil. Please note that you cannot use copper/Aluminum instead of PEC material. Reason being Copper/ Aluminum and other materials use 'Solve inside' option which obstructs open radiation boundary problem where as 3D PEC material doesnt use 'solve inside' option.

Hope this helps you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back