Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

OrCAD FPGA System Planner - How to add PCIe connector to Cyclone IV GX?

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnyarancia

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello everyone, this is a beginner question but so far I could not figure it out. I searched through example projects, official help and the web for several days to no avail.

I need to add a PCIe interface to Cyclone IV GX FPGA, for starters i want to connect just four transceiver pins (one lane, txp-txn-rxp-rxn). There is no predefined interface, so i started with pcie_x1_s2gx which is made for Stratix II GX. I deleted all pins except the four I wa interested in. It still connects to a Stratix II GX FPGA without any problem.

Then I edit the interface rules and change target family to Cyclone IV GX, leaving everything else the same (IO standard PCML15, target pin function High Speed (GXB)).
Now i get an error messsage: The high-speed serial IO pins in the part model should have a group constraint of pll_compensated_path or pll_non_compensated_path.
When I add this constraint, new error appears: Group Lane0 with pll_compensated_path constraint in part part should contain a minimum of 1 input clock pins or 1 PLL output clock pins.
Adding a clock to this group does not help either, because then it somehow tries to connect all the signals to one I/O bank which obviously fails.

:bang:I am out of ideas now. In this case the FPGA has only 169 pins, which is doable wihout the help of FSP, but for future I would like to know how is it done the proper way.
Thank you very much for any tip.

You're trying to do your logic design using Orcad?

You're trying to do your logic design using Orcad?

Yes. I am trying to make a schematic of a logic PCB with high-speed serial interface and possibly a DDR memory. Is there any tool better suited for this purpose?

With the availability of high quality evaluation boards from reputable manufacturers like Avnet, Terasic, etc... it's a very common practice to base you schematic design and layout an existing board.
I suggest you follow this practice while closely consulting the device's documentation.

I've used Orcad and Altium before (last time was ~5 years ago) - but never opted out for any "System Planner" or other tools / plug-ins.
IMO, there's no alternative to reading the documentation carefully.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back