Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Read SL-91369-Monitor via UART

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeethuVP

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
i'm using Spacelabs 91369 UltraView SL Patient Monitor 241qux06.. i want to read it through serial using max3232 and orangepi.. How can i read it?

To give a general answer...

* The cable must have proper connector at each end(or else attach adapters).

* If you need entire handshaking communication then cable must contain several wires.
If you can make do with simplest possible communication then a null modem cable may be sufficient containing 2 wires.

* Voltage levels must be electrically compatible, or if not then you need to step up/down the signal.

* Sending unit should have a utility software which sends the data.

* Communication protocols need to match in both units (baud rate, parity, half or full duplex, 7 or 8 bits).

* Receiving unit needs software to detect incoming signal at serial port, and monitor status.

* Receiving unit needs software to interpret and display data, or else store data.

hi,
connected the max3232 with the orangepi pins.. Orangepi TX to max3232 TX and RX with RX.. but i can't read any readings.

Although we do this sort of project in the hope it should be easy, there are dozens of things that need to be right, in order to achieve success. I wanted to hook up my VIC-20 to my Macintosh with a null modem cable. I had to consult several articles and diagrams, and construct a volt level shifting and signal inverting circuit. I had to try every combination of settings. My oscilloscope was an essential tool. Finally I saw a few gibberish characters appear on the Macintosh screen. It's all part of the path to success.

You need to continue trying every combination of things, until you see a character or two.
To make the task easier there is something called a breakout box. It goes between your two devices, and has led's displaying status of all wires in the serial hookup.
Do you have an oscilloscope? Or a logic probe?

The oscilloscope lets you watch for waveforms in transmission. You need to gain access to the wire which carries data.

Your communications program ought to give you a verbose display of status moment to moment. It should tell you messages such as "Sending data". Either you must write this into your program, or select the option in your communications app.

Set baud rate to 300 if it's available. At a slow speed it is easier to watch the volt level go up and down as each packet of data is transmitted.

Hi,
i checked with it.. But nothing is getting.. is there any manual for Spacelabs 91369 UltraView SL Patient Monitor? i can't find any manual or document regarding the serial data out of the bedside monitor..

The Spacelabs website has a product description saying 'Contact us' about a remote monitor. That is what they hope to sell to you . No doubt it comes with complete instructions.
Sorry, they are not likely to give you a step-by-step tutorial telling how to achieve serial hookup with your device that could use a protocol unknown to them.

Did you find a USB port? Ethernet port?

Did you test a computer hookup? Does the computer recognize something is attached?

Does it display a window asking if you wish to install this device?
Does it appear in the Device Manager control panel?

They advertise wireless telemetry. Again they say 'Contact us.' Bluetooth may be the protocol, or wifi. If you're lucky a computer with wireless communication might show a response from your patient monitor.

hi,
it has 3 USB port.. i connected it with db9 serial port with my computer via putty&terminal.. But nothing is getting..

Hi,

reviewing this thread .. I wonder if you are the right person for this job.

On a 150 word post (post#4 from Brad) you are just able to answer 3 words (post #5)...with about no information.
Is it laziness or inability?

Then your next information is "But nothing is getting".
--> A scope will always show some information. Even a straight line is information.
But first you should give informations like:
* your scope_GND connection
* your scope_signal connection
* your scope setup (X, Y, trigger...)
* a scope picture

But you don´t. You don´t give useful, unambigous informations, you don´t answer questions.

If you go on this way you stress the patience and motivation of those who want to help you.

If you need help, then first give detailed informations and show your own effort. Show what you have done so far.
For example: Did you contat the manufacturer. Why not - or what is was their resonse?

Klaus

i'm sorry for what i did....
i got a manual from my search..i connected my pc with a DB9 connector with the bedside monitor serial port.. then with putty(9600 baud, 1 stop bit, 8 startbits, and no parity bits) i connected the device.. but nothing is getting..
https://www.scribd.com/document/210803326/Spacelabs-Monitor-91369-Service-Manual
IMG_20180904_134413.jpg

Hi,

do you have the CD-ROM they talk about in the manual?

What´s your current PatientDataLogger setup?
Are you sure you eanbled it?
Did you enable or disable hardware handshaking on the PC side?
Are you sure you use the correct RS-232 cable with correct pin setup? If you are not sure about that you have to use your scope and measure all the RS-232 connector wrt RS-232_GND.

Tell us which pin shows activity and which pin shows which DC voltage. Both the cable side connector as well as the PatientMonitor side connector.

Please answer each question and give all the RS-232 signal informations.

Klaus

do you have the CD-ROM they talk about in the manual?
No i have no CD-ROM...
What´s your current PatientDataLogger setup?
patient datalogger is only enabled in the paided version and i can't enable the datalogger...
Did you enable or disable hardware handshaking on the PC side?
yes.. Enabled the handshaking,when the monitor connected with the DSUB 9 pin connector with the pc via Terminal..
Are you sure you use the correct RS-232 cable with correct pin setup? If you are not sure about that you have to use your scope and measure all the RS-232 connector wrt RS-232_GND.
we have connected the Bedside monitor to oscilloscope with RS 232 DB-9 connector...
pin 3-TX
pin 5-GND
this is the connection
IMG_20180905_175450.jpg

No data voltage.. continuous 8V out(not the data)

this is the output by oscilloscope
IMG_20180905_175209.jpg

Last edited:

Hi,

No data voltage.. continuous 8V out (not the data)
Isn´t it negative? = -8V

Btw: do you measure the signals from the PC on the RS232 connector? And during this measurement you (tried to) transmit date from PC to the device?
Maybe the hardwae handshake singal disabled data transfer. --> do a test without hardware handshake.

Klaus

yes.. Enabled the handshaking,when the monitor connected with the DSUB 9 pin connector with the pc via Terminal..

we have connected the Bedside monitor to oscilloscope with RS 232 DB-9 connector...
pin 3-TX
pin 5-GND
this is the connection
View attachment 148862

Your hookup appears to be 2 wires. This resembles a null modem (as mentioned in post #2). It does not need handshaking. Therefore try shutting off handshaking and then you might see a signal on the oscilloscope.

It might be necessary to restart the sending unit, or maybe it is sufficient to stop the communication and resume.

It is normal for success to require many test runs. It took me many hours (over the span of a few days) before I got my Macintosh to receive correct data from my VIC-20.

Hi,

Isn´t it negative? = -8V

Btw: do you measure the signals from the PC on the RS232 connector? And during this measurement you (tried to) transmit date from PC to the device?
Maybe the hardwae handshake singal disabled data transfer. --> do a test without hardware handshake.

Klaus

Now we are connected the device directly to scope without hardware handshake(It's off) . The same output is getting ie, -8V . no data out...

- - - Updated - - -

Your hookup appears to be 2 wires. This resembles a null modem (as mentioned in post #2). It does not need handshaking. Therefore try shutting off handshaking and then you might see a signal on the oscilloscope.

It might be necessary to restart the sending unit, or maybe it is sufficient to stop the communication and resume.

connected the device directly to scope without hardware handshake(It's off) . The same output is getting ie, -8V . no data out...
Also restarted the device.. But no data out..

The DB-9 pinout diagrams show that pins 2 & 3 are for sending and receiving data.

Pin 5 is ground, although it's worth a try to connect the shield (or shell, etc.) in your hookup too.

It's likely your cable has the correct crossover wiring, running pin 2 at one end to pin 3 at the other, and vice versa. However just on the chance it's not crossover wired, see if data comes through some other pin. Even if the instructions specify pin 3, try pin 2 instead. Try it at each end. However many combinations are possible, you must try them all.

Then there's the voltage mentioned as +8 or -8V. It's still a question how this will affect your receiving unit. A constant voltage reading may indicate that a unit is sending a handshaking signal. It may expect a reply on a different wire, or the same wire.
There is a method of altering a cable that involves putting jumpers across certain wires, in order to 'fool' a unit into thinking handshaking is successful. You may end up needing to install these jumpers, or you may need a cable which contains several wires to handle all handshaking protocols.

Obviously the null modem hookup is the easiest way to go. A null modem was sufficient for me to transfer (a) numerous programs from my VIC20 to my Mac, and (b) several years worth of articles from a Compugraphic typesetting machine to my Mac. Both of these projects required many trial runs, trying different settings (baud rate, 7 or 8 data bits, half or full duplex, parity), powering down and powering up units, etc. It was not until after all those attempts, that I achieved first successful transfer of usable data.

You may find the data signal is +8 or -8v. Can a unit powered by 0 to 5V be able to handle an incoming signal which is outside the power rails? This hurdle shall come later.

Hi,

In post#12 I already asked the OP of all signal voltages of both connectors.
On two connectors with 9 pins each this means 2 x 8 signals. Sadly the OP gives just a single signal information.
With this limited information we are not able to help.

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.