Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LPDA design in HFSS problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwizard

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all.
I am not new in Microwave or HFSS, but I have problem to design LPDA in HFSS. I have a task, among others, to design LPDA with bandwidth of 10:1. Planar printed LPDA is assumed as most convinient and low cost. I calculated LPDA using standard formulas, designed a model in HFSS.
First design parameters were for bandwidth 2-20GHz(this was done to reduce calculation time, as LPDA is fully scalable antenna). I obtained almost flat gain in whole bandwidth and correct radiation pattern(meaning low sidelobes level and clasical center lobe in E and H-plane).
Then I scaled design to required frequency band 0.6-6GHz, leaving design parameters tau,ksi and alpha(virator width scaling factor) the same. And there is a problem. I see almost flat gain, but radiation pattern is bad - on some frequencys I see two main lobes and very high level of sidelobes. Any correction of design parameters doesnt help. I assume that structure is too big and minimum element size is too small and HFSS cannot correctly mesh it. Any suggestions or anybody had same problem?

P.S. Substrate RO4003 0.5mm. Copper thiknes 0.03mm. All air box planes are minimum lamda/4 from any element of structure.

Status
Not open for further replies.