Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] while condition in verilog

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasmine123

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I am trying to implement a particular algorithm in verilog whose pseudo code is given below. I have problem with the while loop(LINE 7 & 11). I get this error when the while loop is used; Non-constant loop condition not supported for while. Can someone suggest me an alternative.

Code:
Compute: X mod Y
1: G = Split(X;Width(Y ) )//split x in widths of y
2: N = Num(G) - 1// no. of groups that x is split into
3: while N > 0 do
4: T = G[N]
5: for i = Width(Y ) - 1 downto 0 do
6:      T = T << 1
7:      while T[Width(Y )] = 1 do // if (MSB bit of T==1)
8:           T[Width(Y )] = 0 //set the MSB bit to 0
9:            T = T + (2**Width(Y ) mod Y ) //and a precomputed value and MSB bit is again 1 then repeat from line 8
10: G[N - 1] = G[N - 1] + T
11:while G[N - 1][Width(Y )] = 1 do // if (MSB bit of G[N-1]==1)
12:      G[N - 1]Width(Y ) = 0
13:      G[N - 1] = G[N - 1] + (2**Width(Y ) mod Y )
14: N = N - 1
15: while G[0] > Y do
16: G[0] = G[0] - Y
      return G[0]

HDL iteration loops are a means to generate parallel logic. For hardware synthesis, the number of iterations respectively parallel instances must be known at compile time. A possible solution is to determine the maximal iteration count according to input number range and design the loop for this number with an additional termination condition.

Alternatively, a sequential (FSM based) implementation may be preferred.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back