Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Re-Reeeling of electronics components causing ESD damage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

treez

What is the chances of electronics components suffering ESD damage due to poor component re-reeling practices?
In UK , we have no significant semiconductor fabrication plants…therefore, components that get here do so by whatever napharious means. Large electronics corporations have large numbers of partially used component reels left over after various reflow production runs. These reels are sold back to subsidiaries of component distributors, who then combine and re-reel them onto new reels, so as to make full reels of components, which just look as if they have come straight from the semiconductor fabrication plant…….very often, such re-reeling is done by staff acting without proper ESD protection. Much of the re-reeling is also done in the Far East, because this is where most of the world’s electronics production happens.
UK distributors are grateful to buy up these cheap re-reeled components….and pretend that they are “fresh from the semiconductor plant”. UK electronics companies then use them and find that their products are regularly blowing up due to ESD damage. Mainland European companies etc don’t have this problem, since they have special relations with semiconductor plants like ST, Infineon, NXP etc etc…so they can buy reels safe in the knowledge that they really are “straight from the semicon plant”.

The UK has no such special relationships with semicon plants…..and the Far Eastern re-reelers are happy to sell duff re-reeled components to the UK, …happy that this will make British made electronics products less reliable than their own Far Eastern exports to UK……..thus increasing the dependency of UK on the Far East etc.
So just how bad has this ESD damage caused by re-reeling of components become?

What if? Assumptions, guesses, unsubstantiated conclusions. How can anybody answer it?

Do you have any indication that UK distributors are involved in inappropriate component processing?

Do you have any indication that UK distributors are involved in inappropriate component processing?
There's no other country in the world like UK for trying to buy everything cheaply from overseas and destroy its own industry...no other country that wouldnt buy something at "cheap-as-heck price no matter where it came from" like UK.
In UK, greed is actively encouraged by our politicians...buy something ridiculously cheap and flog it to your fellow Brits and rip them off is the name of the game over here in Blighty.
Screw your own country in the name of personal greed is what being a Brit is all about these days.

In 2002, our wonderful politicians brought out the “Enterprise Act 2002”……..this frees UK politicians from the duty of intervention when UK’s national treasures are being flogged to overseas buyers….after this Act, foreign ownership of UK enterprises rose to well over 50%....... Greedily flog one’s country down the river and emigrate is what the UK is all about these days …..just read the book “Britain for sale”by Alex Brummer.

**broken link removed**

So yes, UK distributors wouldn’t hesitate to make a quick buck….thats the name of the game in Blighty now.

you can put the majority of our products on on-at-mains-peak testing all month and they pass with flying colors

Well a few weeks away and you come back to this, a very pessimistic, nay depressing view of the world...
Distributors buy and sell direct from the component manufacturers, in bulk, your initial viewpoint on re-reeling is a bit off the mark.

Hi,

* buying from other countries
* selling to other countries
There´s not bad with it. That´s how nowadays trading works.

I do it in both directions.

Example.
Farnell (distributor) once was located next to the company where I was working.
If I needed an electronic part I could go to there and they sold it to me.

Then they closed the stock in Germany and all was shipped from the UK.
They have a contract with UPS and if I order the parts before 7:00 PM then they arrive next day about noon. That´s OK for me.
I don´t care if the parts come form Germany or from the UK.
The parts usually are manufactured neither in Germany nor in the UK. They are manufactured all over the world.

I´m a bit - but only a bit - worried what happens because of the BREXIT. But I´m sure Farnell will find a solution.
No need to stress me before there is a problem.

Klaus

You could go and insist on reviewing the re-reeling site's
ESD control plan and recent audit results if you think that'd
ease your mind. But it would be hours and hours spent with
only a chance of any satisfaction unless you represent an
order that sits above the "give a sh!t" bar. I'm guessing,
not.

Any time you deviate from the prime manufacturer's flow
(i.e. once the tube is opened, and tube was not mishandled
between them and you) additional risk creeps in. Proving
origin and culpability, though, is another snipe hunt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back