Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is Induction lamp based streetlighting in UK/Europe/USA/World still being sold?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

treez

...or is Induction lamp based streetlighting really taking a back seat now?

It doesn't offer any real advantages over other methods and can be a significant cause of EM interference so it isn't adopted commercially.

It did occur to me that a saturable inductive ballast might be used with LEDs though. I have not seen anyone using it but it might work. Basically, you rectify the AC mains and feed it to the LEDs through a specially constructed (but small) inductor which limits the current to the minimum you want for lowest light output. Then using a DC control current through an independent winding, you saturate the core so it's effective inductance drops and it presents a lower XL to the current flow and hence brighter LEDs. It draws a symetrical current from the AC although it may not be sinusoidal and it produces little EMC. May be worth following up.

Brian.

Reactions: treez

T

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thanks FvM......great thread....blimey, so this induction lamp ballast thing is some industrial secret.....i wonder what is the switching frequency?
Presumbaly its fairly inefficient?
Sounds like a radio transmitter.
Thanks also Betwixt...sounds good, and very efficient..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back