Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Marchand Balun design for double balanced diode mixer

Status
Not open for further replies.

yves1234

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Mixer Balun Desig in ADS

Hello,
Please can somone help me to design a balun for a double balanced mixer? My mixer takes in 8GHz and put out 500MHz

Re: Mixer Balun Desig in ADS

Integrated or Discrete ??

Since you are working in Uwave frequencies, your balun should be made by Tlines(Distributed), you can check lange coupler and wilkinson divider topologies for distributed balun designs.

You need lange coupler to create phase difference required between outputs, and wilkinson divider to create 2 outputs with equal amplitude.

Integrated Baluns tend to have active components inside, but that is another topic of interest, mainly for IC designers.

Hope it helps.

My Inductor Toolkit for ADS is an automated way to create RFIC inductors, and recently I added transformer/balun design also. However, that is a commercial 3rd party add-on for ADS (not free).

In ADS 2017, Keysight have added a feature "coilsys" that generates various inductor and transformer shapes. It is included with the ADS Advanced Layout license (no extra cost), so maybe you want to try that. Coilsys video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nos_fjcic-Y

If you have Keysight support account, you can download Spiral_Artwork_wrk project file to benefit the parametric coils and transformers in this support project.
There are many basic coils and transformers that can be imported into your main project.
But the main problem the frequency.I don't know which process you work with but even you use high di-electric substrate , realizing this balun will occupy relatively large area due to the frequency.
If the main application is a mixer and since the operating frequency is single ( narrowband ) using a transformer will also act as a BaLUN.Trying to implement a standard Microstrip Line Balun will probabaly not work.( huge occupation area ). In order to implement a Transformer is relatively easier and a bit tricky.I cannot explain the details how to design it but I'm sure you can find tons of document on the internet.But 500MHz will also be a trouble If I were you I would use an external Balun/TransformerBut 500MHz will also be a trouble.

Last edited:

Thank you. I o have ADS 2017 but I don't find CoilSys.

Thank you. I o have ADS 2017 but I don't find CoilSys.

Main Window... Tools-->Application Manager-->(Enable) Coilsys
coilsys.PNG

Hello,
I want to design a Marchand balun for a double balanced diode mixer.
How do i calculate the parameters of the balun?
I am using ADS, i got familiar with linecalc but don't know what to use. MLIN, SBCLIN, ...
I need help in making the choice. I need it for a mixer that will take in 8 to 9 GHz RF and put out 400 to 500 MHz IF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back