Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[Simetrix Elements] Simulating CMOS 4000 logic at other than 5V supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bernhard

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

First post here, nice forum!

Please allow me the following question about (the demo-version of) Simetrix Elements:

I'm looking for a way to simulate a circuit with some NOR-gates (old 4000-series CMOS-logic) & additional Diodes, BJTs, R & C at other supplies than 5V.
The 4001-type CMOS-gates are configured to output 5V, even when the circuit is supplied from say 9V. Can imagine that, since these symbols don't have supply-connections.
I saw some inbuilt formatting/bridging w.r.t. output-voltage inside the models, but hacking that doesn't work.

I rather avoid to approach it the other way around, by running the whole circuit at 5V.

The demo version also doesn't seem to allow me to replace those gates by simple MOS-transistor based gate-equivalents.

I could manually pre-attenuate, post-amplify, but I hope there's a more elegant way out.

I figure it's related to switching the 4000-5 setting I saw to 4000-10, or 4000-15, but couldn't get that working.

Anyone knows of a trick ?

Thanks!

Hi,

Not a solution for Simetrix Elements which I am not familiar with at all...: What about a Spice variant or the TI TINA program free version (basically another spice variant) which simulates CD40xx packages at all voltages. It's also very easy to import macros from other manufacturers. One drawback could be how many gates you need to simulate, e.g. SN7404 comes looking like a not gate symbol, CD4049 is the whole 6-pack (which can get annoying if you only want to simulate one gate and have to see the error messages all the time) and you need to look for them in the find component window as 7404 and 4049 (not SN or CD), etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back