Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

HDL vs Software Mentalities

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's worth noting that C code support seems to be improving.

I did a proof of concept feedback loop implementation in Vivado HLS and liked the results. The resulting code was actually higher performance than my verilog in terms of clock latency because I had placed about 4 pipeline registers in logical places (i.e. the output of the sub modules) meanwhile the HLS had optimized their placement only where/when needed.

I opted not to use HLS however because although the proof of concept was nice and compact and simple all the necessary bells and whistles such as overflow detection/correction etc would have made the C code about as long and complex as the verilog while adding another whole layer to the code-chain. The bottom line is that C isn't a ton higher level verilog.

Though there is a big plus to C considering how many algorithms have reference implementations in C and how many other programs can take C as an input. In my case I would have been able to drop my error amplifier code directly into PSIM for simulation along-side the power stage.

The best thing you can do is draw the hardware out on a piece of paper before you write the HDL code. The process of translating a digital circuit directly into rtl will help get away from the software mindset. As far as a book, I recommend Digital Logic and Microprocessor Design with VHDL by Enoch Hwang to get started.

Aside from that, reading and understanding code from more experienced designers is a big help.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back