Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Driver circuit HMC547ALP3E GaAs MMIC SPDT NON-REFLECTIVE SWITCH, DC - 20 GHz

Status
Not open for further replies.

asimov_18

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I am designing an instrument using HMC547ALP3E GaAs MMIC SPDT NON-REFLECTIVE SWITCH, DC - 20 GHz.
This switch requires a 0 to -5V differential signal for operation. The datasheet for these devices provides a sample
circuit that converts 0to +5V signal to negative range to drive these circuits.

driver circuit.png

However I am concerned if this driver circuit is capable of working at frequency of 100 MHz. Hence I was trying to build
a driver circuit using ECL gates and a -ive supply rail. However I was concerned about the ECL circuit not working due to small
voltage swing associated with ECL circuits. Any work around solutions one can think off and suggest?

Regards
Asimov

Attachments

• HMC547ALP3E.pdf
    334.8 KB · Views: 56

"Working at 100 MHz" is a bit vague kind of specification. You want to differentiate between propagation delay, propagation delay skew, rise/fall time and maximum switching frequency. I would expect that fast 5V logic series like AHC or single/dual gate LVC can work for your application. The input level shift circuit may need a speed-up capacitor.

I also guess that driving "100 MHz" logic won't use 5V IO standard, we don't see yet the full picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.