Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to solve a setup hold conflicting path

Status
Not open for further replies.

preethi19

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
can any1 tell plz how to solve a setup hold confliting path in the same corner. Normally for a setup path, one of the possibility is to skew the clock. Skewing clock is usually done at the capture flop CK pin. But I was suggested from my senior that another way is also that we can even borrow from the previous path (if there is enough margin). Its like cutting a point in the clk tree.. This would give enough margin for setup so then hold can be fixed. I didn't understand this part.. Can plz explain me.

can any1 tell plz how to solve a setup hold confliting path in the same corner. Normally for a setup path, one of the possibility is to skew the clock. Skewing clock is usually done at the capture flop CK pin. But I was suggested from my senior that another way is also that we can even borrow from the previous path (if there is enough margin). Its like cutting a point in the clk tree.. This would give enough margin for setup so then hold can be fixed. I didn't understand this part.. Can plz explain me.

setup fix means to make the path faster or to allow more time for a slow path to compute. you can do buffering, logic restructuring, cloning, retiming, clock skewing... all of which could help. Your 'senior' was talking about retiming.

Borrowing is basically splitting your flop in positive level latch and negative level latch. Read about time borrowing and you will figure it out.

HI Preethi,
How much violation you are seeing?
And how many paths?
What are setup/hold slacks?

Regards
Shareef

Hi,
you are getting setup hold conflicting path because the end point in violation has two paths coming to the same end point - one with large path delay and the other with less path-delay passing through a common logic before ending into end-point. You need to trace the path upwards and find the common divergent path. from here, you need to fix the setup in large delay segment and hold in short delay segment.

Saket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back