Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Simple transformer question about input and output power

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zak28

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
A flat spiral transformer with a 1:100ratio has a secondary with 92,100XL of impedance @ 50Mhz. The primary has 24V square 50% duty pulsing at said frequency. Is the max secondary power and current I=Vp/XL which is 2400Vp/92100XL = 26mA and P= 2400Vp*26mA which is 62.4W? Is it pointless to input any more than 63W into the primary?

I understand there are resistances and parasitics which I do not account for, but I choose to keep this simple. I also understand driving it at its resonant frequency is optimal for max power output but I need different frequencies for the circuit.

Greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Which impedance are you describing with XL? A transformer has main and leakage inductance. Refer to a transformer equivalent circuit for clarification.

Reactions: Zak28

Zak28

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
I think he is referring to the main inductance referred to the secondary, but a clarification is indeed needed.

Zak28

The leakage inductance will dominate the power transfer ...

Zak28

I think he is referring to the main inductance referred to the secondary, but a clarification is indeed needed.

I was referring to the secondary coil.
I thought xfmrs have 2 inductances - 1 per winding.

You need at least three parameters to describe a transformer, e.g. primary, secondary and coupling coefficient, or magnetizing inductance, leakage inductance and winding ratio. As you have been told, it's the leakage respectively coupling that limits the power transfer in the first order, not the primary or secondary inductance.

You can however derive different parameter sets that describe the same transformer, you really should learn about transformer equivalent circuits to understand their relation.

Zak28

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back