Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Resistance value when powered on

Status
Not open for further replies.

electronicsman

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I want to clarify suppose if i want to measure the resistance between two points in micro controller hardware board using multimeter, can i do it when it is powered on or i can do it only after powering off.

measure resistance only when the board is powered off.

With power on , the meter may get damaged(unless the meter has internal protection for such abuse)

Hi,

I´d say: it depends.
When you want to measure the value of an EPOT then you need to power it.
If you want to measure input/output impedance of an IO port, then you need to power it...
There are other situations where you need it powered up.

Klaus

Ok i am not clear, this is the case of measuring resistance between Can-high and Can-low lines.

Hi,

Is it possible to measure voltage and current and extrapolate the answer from Ohm's Law or not with the configuration?

Hi,

measuring resistance between Can-high and Can-low lines.
Why? What's the use of it?

What CAN bus topology? What CAN bus state during measurement? Idle? Or communicating?

Klaus

CAN bus termination inside device is optional and only activated for end nodes, usually by a switch or jumper.

If it's turned on, you should be able to measure it both in unpowered and powered state as long the bus driver is inactive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back