Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Non-LInear Capacitor SImulation - Time step too small error - LTSpice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raghuram TR

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear all,

I am trying to simulate a Non-Linear capacitor in LTSpice whose voltage is a non-linear function of the charge across it. Please find the schematic attached below. However, I am getting Time step too small; initial timepoint: trouble with node "v_a" error. Can you please help me in fixing this? I tried changing the engine to Alternate in Control Panel but the error still persists.

Also, is there any other way by which I can model a capacitor whose voltage is a non-linear function of the charge across it? My aim is to use such a non-linear capacitor in series with an ordinary capacitor and study the transient response.

Regards,
Raghu

Attachments

• LTSpice_Error.png
    LTSpice_Error.png
    38.3 KB · Views: 254

This may happen because you set both capacitors to femtofarad size. Guess that's not intended.

Thats intended. The design specs give capacitors in the range of femto farads.

May be true for C2, but you have set C1 to 1 femtofarad, too.

1F is parallel to 1GOhm.. Simulators don't like these kind of absurd values and connections.

If your C-V function is normal-ish then a MOScap, varactor or
even a dumb diode model with the forward parameters "killed"
could do what you want. Especially if the nonlinear capacitor
in question is such a structure.

Ideal elements seem like they're not troublemakers but the
reciprocal of ideal is sometimes "ka-blooey".

Besides the most likely unwanted femtofarad value of C1, there seems to be an error of reasoning involved with the design. Voltage source E1 is shorting C2, whatever it's value is, it has no effect on the circuit behavior.

If would be more reasonable if you specify the intended capacitance function, so that people can suggest an alternative implementation.

Status
Not open for further replies.