Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Filtering of VDDA pins on microcontrollers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plecto

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello. On some MCUs, the supply pins of the analog circuitry are separated from the digital circuitry. I assume this is to allow for the possibility to supply the analog circuitry with a cleaner supply to increase accuracy? My question is, is it common practice to filter the VDDA pins of a mcu and how much increased accuracy can be gained from this? I know this will depend on a lot of factors, but I would like to hear some thoughts :)

Hi,

I´d say there is no general answer for your question.

It´s hard to describe the noise on digital_VCC.
Let´say 10mV RMS noise can be a single sinusoidal lowr frequency or it can be much higher and fast spikes.
If the time where the analog signal is being captured meets a quiet piece of VCC, then then result is clean, but if it meets with an edge then the conversion result may be corrupted.

I recommend to read the datasheet. This is the source of information. No one here has better informations.
Look for:
* power supply rejection
* recommended decoupling circuit
* recommended PCB design

Klaus

Adding a PI filter composed by two capacitors and one ferrite bead may be a good practice. The filter will stop the noise propagation in both ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.