Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Topologies of Converter in Brick DC-DC Converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabu31

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I would like to know what topologies are commonly used in 600W DC-DC Converter (48- to 72V Input; Output at 48 V) brick converters commercially available in market. Is there any reference material for the same.

Thanks

zero-voltage switching (ZVS) buck-boost topology is suitable for your application

VICOR having such brick module
PRM48BF480T600A00

Thanks smijesh for the reply. Is there any reference for the topology . Also will used of phase shifted full bridge be justified.

to be honest, Phase shift full bridge doesnt help at all with conduction losses, so its not great for you.
Here is a thread on it...i will post it in a minute..

- - - Updated - - -

Here is the link
https://www.edaboard.com/showthread.php?342663-Phase-Shift-Full-Bridge-SMPS-is-massively-over-hyped

- - - Updated - - -

As you can see, the basic Phase Shift Full Bridge (PSFB) isn’t up to much….only the modified PSFB , as decsribed by Easy Peasy is worth doing.
A standard PSFB has high turn-off switching losses….and isn’t really much better than a Full Bridge. Lets face it, a Basic Full Bridge has a turn-on snubber in the form of the leakage inductance…this ensures that you turn-on with zero current flowing…which is pretty good for a bog-standard hard switched converter…..i reckon the standard Full Bridge is better than the “Basic PSFB”.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW vicor modules are very easy to use, and the website will take you through it...oten you only have to add input and output caps, and an external error amplifier, and a few other bits and pieces...the vicor module is the power stage.

Isolated or non isolated? Big difference.

Vicor does often (not always) expose their topology in their documentation.

Treez I don’t think you necessarily proved that point in that thread....and if by “modified” you mean the added L clamped to the rails I’d actually consider that the main kind. Also I’ll point out that I think you find more app notes and demo boards for phase shifted than regular full bridges.

LLC seems to be quite common with efficiency advantages (its a true resonant converter) but isn’t suited to wide input/output voltage conditions.

PSFB on the other hand swings a wide range of duty cycles easily.

Treez I don’t think you necessarily proved that point in that thread....and if by “modified” you mean the added L clamped to the rails I’d actually consider that the main kind. Also I’ll point out that I think you find more app notes and demo boards for phase shifted than regular full bridges.
OK, thanks, if you read the full thread (i know its looong)....you see Easy Peasy's recipe for a modified PSFB is a little more than just the added L clamped to the rails with those diodes.

I dont believe that even that is a "standard" PSFB.....but i guess that's a subjective thing.
...If for example you look at infineon app notes for their range of PSFB drivers, they dont have those modified bits

I read that thread in 2016 and skimmed it again today. I’ve also designed two PSFB implementations.

What other changes are you referring to?

https://www.ti.com/lit/an/sprabr1/sprabr1.pdf
This is an example showing additional clamped series inductance.

other changes include caps across each fet...i'll parse the thread again and hunt out some more soon

- - - Updated - - -

That thread , by the way, is the 15th longest thread ever on edaboard....at least as long as records exist

Status
Not open for further replies.