Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

need snap action fastener for enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zak28

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
im making an enclosure to have it printed with ABS and as you can see the images depicts a box and lid which will be fastened with 4 fasteners of the nut and bolt type. Are there any snap fit or some other form of fasteners which would make the box corners whole and not extruded out to permit tightening the nut up to the bolt?

1.png

2.png

Can you make it easy to squeeze the long sides of the enclosure, so it releases the lid? Mold tabs or ribs at the edge of the lid. Short, a half-inch long.

Or if you intend for the enclosure to be rigid, then put a tab (or indent) in the lid, so a screwdriver can pop it out.

Almost anything is easier than using nuts and bolts, and having to find a screwdriver, pliers, cup to store loose parts in, etc.

Can you make it easy to squeeze the long sides of the enclosure, so it releases the lid? Mold tabs or ribs at the edge of the lid. Short, a half-inch long.

Or if you intend for the enclosure to be rigid, then put a tab (or indent) in the lid, so a screwdriver can pop it out.

Almost anything is easier than using nuts and bolts, and having to find a screwdriver, pliers, cup to store loose parts in, etc.

I know about those methods, the trouble is I dont know the thickness demands, I am likely to over do the material and the ribbon or other method would be too rigid. I dont have the printer so I cannot experiment with various dimensions so if you know of a standardized table then let me know about it.

Thank you.

Almost all enclosures I've purchased are held together with sheet metal screws:

sheet metal screw short.jpg

Only a few threads need to engage the plastic. You can do a similar thing for machine screws. Just a small rib molded inside the hole for the threads to bite into.

Almost all enclosures I've purchased are held together with sheet metal screws:

View attachment 148412

Only a few threads need to engage the plastic. You can do a similar thing for machine screws. Just a small rib molded inside the hole for the threads to bite into.

I suppose after very few consecutive screwing/removing the screw the hole will be unable to hold the parts in place.

I suppose after very few consecutive screwing/removing the screw the hole will be unable to hold the parts in place.

Securing the lid with screws is the simplest solution. You might also consider using threaded brass inserts if you fear stripping the plastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.