Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

I want to learn FPGA board design

Status
Not open for further replies.

ali_umair21

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi

I am an Electronics Engineer and have vast experience in FPGA design with Xilinx and Altera FPGAs. Now I want to extend my expertise by learning board design. By the way, I have a Zybo board and I have schematic as well that I found on digilant website:

https://reference.digilentinc.com/_media/zybo:zybo_sch.pdf
https://store.digilentinc.com/zybo-zynq-7000-arm-fpga-soc-trainer-board/

This Zybo board is too complex for something that I want to develop my self. I want to develop a simplest board using smallest Zynq device with no extra interface(DDR/Ethernet or anything).

I am very much open for paid training or paid online course.

Which EDA tool you recommend me to learn?
Can you please recommend me a starting point?

Thanks
Ali Umair

If you're just starting out I wouldn't recommend an FPGA as you're first board design. Especially if it's a BGA.
As far as what tool, how much do you want to spend? These tools can set you back a LOT of money. If this is just a hobby then I think Eagle is one that people talk about a lot (I have no first-hand experience).

Thanks for your reply. Wont there be any academic or web trial versions of those expensive tools? For now, this is for learning/hobby purpose so I wont mind a ***** or a trial version.

Do you know if there is a formal learning resource for board design?

I'm not aware of any formal training (that doesn't mean they DONT exist), other than classes that are offered by the vendors. The vendors do have lots of free tutorials.

Hi,

There are some free tools.
Many PCB design tutorials as PDF and videos are available in the internet.
Especially for the FPGA you will find informations at the manufacturer.

My recommendation:
Like Barry already said: don't start with a FPGA project.
There are too many pitfalls. Power supply and proper decoupling, high speed signaling, high speed clock, interfaces....and all the other standard PCB design rules fir productiin and assembling of the PCB.

When you want to learn painting, don't try to copy a Picasso.

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back