Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ethernet Switch can be used as Ethernet hub?

Status
Not open for further replies.

i200yrs

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello...would like to ask if I can use Ethernet Switch as a Hub? Or anyone pls help me understand the difference of Switch and Hub...thanks?

Hi,

A simple internet search gives a lot of hits.
Like this one:

Klaus

The hub is simply a physical connection, so regarding ethernet protocols, there would be ethernet frame collisions if there are more than one host connected to. Its a broadcast domain.

The switch has an ASIC controller (the simples ones)which avoid ethernet frame collisions between ports. This is done thanks to a forwarding table inner the ASIC controller. So, it creates a broadcast domain in every switch port.

Of course, that a simple switch definition, because the switch is a kind of bridge device (IEEE 802.3D) and usually with more ports.

Hello...would like to ask if I can use Ethernet Switch as a Hub?
Yes you can do that and its better than a hub.

HUB and Switch both serve the same purpose but HUB is a dumb terminal while Switch is an intelligent device. Hub broadcasts while Switch reads the IPs and route the packets efficiently

Status
Not open for further replies.