Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Effective width of pmos and nmos in series

Status
Not open for further replies.

smita1811

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello All,
In some part of my circuit, there is a pmos transistor connected between Vdd and node X (circuit 1) and width=w as shown in the image linked below (querypmos.png) . In another circuit, a series of pmos and nmos transitors are connected between Vdd and node X (circuit 2). What will be the widths of pmos and nmos transitors so that the effective width is w between node Vdd and X?

As per the theory of logical effort in cmos circuit, the widths for two nmos(pmos) series transistors is 2w each in order to get the effective width of w. But in this case the transistors are the same i.e. either nmos or pmos. Can we apply this theory to the different transistors i.e one pmos and one nmos in series?

Thanks

Attachments

• querypmos.png
    querypmos.png
    11.5 KB · Views: 313

Hi smita. In order to answer your question, it is important ti know the gate voltages of the transistors (a,b,c). Is it a logic circuit or analogue circuit?

Hi smita. In order to answer your question, it is important ti know the gate voltages of the transistors (a,b,c). Is it a logic circuit or analogue circuit?
It is a digital circuit. a,b and c can each be either '1' or '0'.

So as an abbreviation, let us say that Wp= 2Wn as Kp=Kn/2 to have equal speed and equal resistance transistors.
So to have one Wp, you should have two series of (2Wp). If it is one PMOS and one NMOS, it will be 2Wp for the PMOS and Wp for the NMOS (as NMOS has double mobility of PMOS).

Last edited:

So as an abbreviation, let us say that Wp= 2Wn as Kp=Kn/2 to have equal speed and equal resistance transistors.
So to have one Wp, you should have two series of (2Wp). If it is one PMOS and one NMOS, it will be 2Wp for the PMOS and Wp for the NMOS (as NMOS has double mobility of PMOS).

Thanks a lot for clearing the doubt. I have started doing my simulations with the same parameters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back